Guitar Player Opinions Needed

I am researching for my open design project for my Senior studio and thought this would be a good place to get some diverse opinions. I am exploring options for creating a seating device to help ensure a much more comfortable and rewarding home guitar playing session.

Here is a list of a few questions I am interested in getting answered:

Where do you often play guitar when at home?

Do you stand most of the time or sit?

What do you sit on?

Is it comfortable?

How long do you usually play for?

Where do you store most of you guitar accessories?

Do you find it difficult to be able to display music and play at the same time?

It’s not a fairly long questionnaire I just want to know if anyone has difficulty finding a good and comfortable place to play guitar and relax. I play guitar myself so I know what habits I have, but I am very curious about everyone else’s. If you guys could give me your opinions it would be most helpful!

Thanks

1. Bed/Couch
  2. Most always sit
  3. See # 1
  4. Yes it is for the most part. They lack the support of a more sturdy chair, but I tend to lounge when I play so it doesn’t make much of a difference.
  5. About an hour.
  6. In the case mostly, except for the amp/pedals. They go under the bed or in the closet.
  7. Yes. My computer is never at eye height(use a laptop).

Good luck. Hope this helped.

Desk chair/End Of bed
Not really… desk chair arms get in the way
1 hour or so
Shop other end of town…
Yes, I could buy a music stand, but they’re a bit expensive and don’t fold down enough.

I’d just keep in mind how different players hole their guitar, for fast shredding I prefer to hold the body between my legs like a classic player, which requires my knees to be quite high, so sit on the end of my low bed for this. For strumming it’s not too bad just having it on my leg at my desk chair…

I completely agree with the different positions required to hold the guitar for shredding or playing regularly. I don’t use chairs with arms either because it hinders me from getting the guitar in to one position and then quickly switching it to play further down on the neck.

I often play on the corner of my bed as well and then switch and play on the floor leaning against my bed. I do this because sitting on the bed often makes my back tired and then I switch to the floor and my butt and back hurt about 10 minutes into playing.

I guess another question to add to all of this is how often are you switching seating positions while playing? This might be a hard question to find an answer to because it is mostly done subconsciously. So I guess th better question would be…

Why do you switch positions when playing guitar? What tasks are you trying to complete? (tuning, shredding, strumming, hooking up cords…etc)

I usually use an adjustable drafting chair. The chair is fine, its more the posture of playing guitar that makes it hurt my back. I don’t think I chair could make that any better. Perhaps more core work at the gym would help…

1. Bed (when alone)/chair (while jamming)
  2. Sit (while playing alone or while recording)/stand (while jamming)
  3. Bed/chair…sometimes on my amp
  4. I’ve adapted to that :smiley:
  5. Anything between 15 mins & 1 hr at a stretch
  6. Cables - guitar bag, plectrum - always in my pocket
  7. Not at all!

Are you considering different guitar shapes as well? I play a flying-V and it is really a pain to play while sitting.

I play a flying-V and it is really a pain to play while sitting.

That’s ‘cause it’s made for shreddin’ dude!

Thats a good suggestion. I have not even taken into account the different guitar shapes. A flying V guitar does require a different stance to play unless you are standing up and just shredding! Good thinking! Keep the comments coming!

At my desk.

Sit when I practice, Stand when I rock out!

What do you sit on?
Chair

Is it comfortable?
Not especially, I find I have to sit on the edge or the arms get in the way.

How long do you usually play for?
anywhere from half an hour to an hour

In a shelf I made

not especially, I usually display it on my laptop while playing.

Hehe…I’m the riffer kind though…check out I, Himself | Listen and Stream Free Music, Albums, New Releases, Photos, Videos whenever you have time \m/

Perhaps you could integrate the stand and the chair together somehow. I play looking at tablature and chords on a computer screen. Scrolling down the screen and changing pages is difficult. Maybe something like the powerpoint remotes for projector on your pickguard. Maybe a solution for two guitarists looking the same screen.

Corey,

I never played guitar much but my old roommate did and he would sit on a stool with his right foot on the top rung and his other foot on the floor.

Here is a list of a few questions I am interested in getting answered:

Standing in my “Guitar Room”

Stand 90%. Basically only sit if I am playing accoustic

What do you sit on?
Living room furniture

Is it comfortable?
Most of the time

How long do you usually play for? An hour +

Picks, Slides, Ebow go in a box on my desk. Pedals/Boards on the floor. Guitars hang on the wall or on stands.

No. It is easier for me to read music and play than to read words and play (ie. playing & singing at the same time).