graphic design degree + fabrication ability = id job??

Hi to anyone who decides to read this.

I have a question. My situation below.

Major: graphic design

Current job: Corian fabricator - Skill level: high

I would love to switch from graphic to industrial design school, but, I can’t.

Would, could, that skill set obtain an entry level job with say… a furniture design firm? Or any ID company for that matter?

Cheers!

Why can’t you switch to an ID program? I would recommend you switch to an ID or furniture program.

Anything is possible, the better question would be is it probable?

YO, thanks for responding to my question.

Geographically, financially, and circumstantially it doesn’t make sense for me to transfer to an ID school.

After I finish my current degree I plan on moving and would like to do part time ID classes while working.

I am curious what kind of skills/knowledge one would receive only by attending an ID program?

Byron

there is a niche career in designing graphics that are manufactured into/onto products.
Branding, labels, badges, callouts, controls, safety info. Tons of work, but not a big field.
Try to find out about a variety of these materials and processes, things like: hot-tipping, pad printing, silk screening on multiple surfaces, decals, embossing, various switches and membranes.

Have you thought of packaging. Packaging allows you to use ID skills but also caters to the graphic guys as well. All depends on what type of ID you would like to do.

no_spec - I was aware that someone had to design those things but had never actually heard from someone who knows anything about it. I will try to find out about the materials and processes you mentioned. It sounds interesting and tons of work never hurts.

PackageID - I do have a thing for beautiful packing. I am going to have to take another kick at that can because the first attempt left something to be desired (me flat on my face). What kind of software do you work in when designing packaging?

Thanks you two for giving me some other career ideas to think about.

Byron

There are many different software packages that are used in designing packaging. Graphics are done with Adobe, Structure is done with Solidworks, Artios Cad, AutoCad, etc… The main thing is that good packaging design starts with consumer insights and traditional ideation methods such as sketching and mock-ups.

How strong is the Strata 3D suite for package design? I notice they market it towards graphic designers primarily, but with the intent to product things that can be used for packaging. Really it looks more to me like a good way to create package-ready graphics, if you already have a model in mind, than for doing the modeling itself.

It is used quite a bit. They have made some great improvements to it and I think there are a few different versions at the moment.