graduate employment

I recently graduate from a bachelor of Industrial Design in Australia and the job prospects here are few and far between. I am curious to know what life after university is like for graduates in other countries around the world.

join the club dude…!

which uni did you grad from?

University of South Australia. Which uni did you grad from?

Hi,
I´m recent graduated also, but here in Brazil…The things here are not so easy about ID jobs…you have to be a person with a lot of good contacts, that´s not my case…In graphic design the things are a little bit easier, cause you can get experience in small business until you get into a bigger company…In a while, you can do a lot of freelance works…that´s what I´m doing right now while I can´t find a good opportunity…
Good luck :slight_smile:

Bye

most people i know had to get a crap job to pay off the loan. sometimes i think its better to just not go to university and get a job from school as you’ll gain an extra three years experience (something that all companies want these days!) and you won’t be in debt. hey ho!

\

freelance work at http://www.freelanceforum.co.uk

it’s hard when you aren’t the most outstanding in your class and there aren’t jobs waiting for you when you leave.
i’m in the same position, doing crap work while i look for a glimmer of hope for design work.

i can’t even find the doors let alone get my foot in it!

Corporations and firms have been a thing of the past…start up your own thing, or find 1 idea to start a company from. the future is full of smaller firms, or individual designers… sure there is a great deal to learn, but sometimes experience can hinder your innovations.

i agree. ID jobs r rare here in aus. for the most part they get you doing crappy odd jobs.

ive too jus graduated but have been lucky enough to find an ID job, however, i am desparately tryin to get out of aus and to the states.

to the dude from SA uni, r u lookin for a job in a consultancy or in-house?? maybe i can help u out.

things aren’t as bad here in the states

Hey IDED, I´m looking for in house job, but I have never worked for a consultancy before, and should be interesting also…
Here in Brazil, there are not too god opportunities just for graphic design; for the most part of the jobs here, they are mixing two different speciallities (graphics + web design), and I´m running to keep me updated about that (cause I don´t have web experience), attending some extra courses after graduation, etc…I already lost two opportunities because I don´t have experience in web design…
I though the job market in Australia for design it was good also? :frowning:

I’m finding it really hard finding a job because I have just graduated and I have no experience. but how are you supposed to get experience if no one wants to employ you!

I’m finding it really hard finding a job because I have just graduated and I have no experience. but how are you supposed to get experience if no one wants to employ you!

catherine22

its all about luck and timing. though it does help to me good.
market yourself, get yourself out there.
apply for everything and anything.

if it takes a couple of months, do some projects on the side. re-vamp your folio with fresh projects. then begin applying again.

it would have been a good idea, though i understand youve already graduated, to have began looking for job vacancies well before your completion of university.