grad study

What do you think about an undergraduate degree in architecture and a graduate degree in industrial design or general design? Is this possible?

It’s possible, if not pointless.
No way 2 years training will get you into ID, the Masters is good for getting tenure at a University not much else.
If your an architect that wants to better design furniture, lighting etc…then take some ID courses as available.

The question is do you simply want to design everything or are you ambivilent?

WHy can’t you get it in two? (And some programs require extra ud courses making it 2 1/2 or 3 anyway). when you think about it, he’s already had the foundation year, so he would be cramming 3 years into 2 (or not if its one of these extended programs), minus all of the liberal arts.

I don’t get what the big fuss is with all the master program haters in this forum.

Many with undergrad degrees don’t finish thier master’s in ID in 2 years. I had a 4 year degree in sculpture before I pursued my MFA in ID. Took me longer than 2 years.

a lot of times grad students studying ID are doing so to “change career paths” many undergrads are resentful of the fact that the grads have less training (in some cases) and leave “more qualified” In most cases the ug’s are way too cocky for their own good.

That’s hilarious…not true, but funny.

I’m not a grad hater, but I do believe that it is not as good an educational value to the student. Solely based on several personal experiences: seeing the grad program at my own school become more and more esoteric and academic, and less based in the field of design, not meeting very many grads in the field after working in a consulting firm for 5 years that worked with designers from many corporations and then moving to a corporation with a few hundred designers, the few grads I do know in the industry have had to work extra hard to break into a real design job. So that’s my personal bias.

I also feel that the academic experience of an esoteric grad program would be awesome for someone who under graded in ID, because they have the skill set necessary to return to the field, and it would broaden their approach to design.

Perhaps someone with an undergrad in another art/design field would do OK with a gad in ID, but I feel that someone without any art or design training would be doing himself or herself a dis-service pursuing a grad degree in ID.

There are exceptions of course, and this is just my own highly biased opinion. If you are still going to do it, research the program. Make sure you are going to get the drawing, rendering, modeling skills needed to be a professional designer, and not just a design coinsurer.

drawing, model making and all that good stuff are just basic motor skills that need practice to to really learn. 2 years is 2 years. 4 years is 4 years. if u practice something for 4 years, ull be better than someone who just practiced for 2. its that simple. if u think u can cram 4 years of practice into 2, than ure also able to cram 8 years of practice into 4. so either way, u come out with a lot more practice from an undergrad program.

I agree that 2 years isn’t enough to learn id… if you didn’t have some kind of design or art background.

What did you all do in your 4 years of undergrad? In graduate school you are not taking unrelated liberal arts classes like Greek Mythology etc. The classes you take are focused on ID and your research. Most graduate students (being a bit older) are more mature and have learned how to teach themselves skills. (Yes in undergrad you should have learned how to teach yourself.)

Finally as mentioned before most don’t finish their MFA or MID in 2 years.