Grad School Advice - Combining ID background with Textiles

Hello,

I’ve worked in Industrial Design consultancies in the bay area for a few years now and through my experience I’ve become very interested in working with and learning about new technologies in textiles and sustainability. I would like to gain more knowledge and experience in this area and potentially incorporate my ID background with this area of study, which I’d imagine would be soft goods or apparel of some sort. I found the textiles futures program at Central Saint Martins in London ideal, but was wondering if anyone had any advice on other programs with the qualities mentioned. Is school even that practical? Would an internship be more valuable and cost effective?

Thank you!

Hi and welcome. A friend of mine is on a similar journey. She was a designer at Deka Research and is now in grad school for Textiles, her blog:

folio:

Thanks for the link! Yeah I’m feeling a bit lost right now.

You should write her an email.

Yes I will :slight_smile:

Hey,

I am a grad ID student at Konstfack University in Stockholm, Sweden.
We have a Masters in textiles which is supposed to be top of the line. All Grad courses are taught in English and (for now) tuition free.

Check it out here: http://www.konstfack.se/konstfack/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=10&t=1&l=en
go to: education → MA Programs → Textiles in the Expanded Field

Good luck and please feel free to ask questions.

Thanks for the information! I’ll check it out, questions soon :slight_smile: