Grad program augmented with Undergrad classes

I am another one of those engineer changing over to ID. I was all set for going for a 2nd bachelors in Product Design in NYC thinking the BFA was the way to go for skill development. I had applied to RIT as well, but for MFA. After getting in it required an additional 3 sketching classes and 2 other undergrad classes. With that addition there is a greater balance of design theory and skill development. I’ve heard most Product Designers say they value the BFA over an MFA, but with the additional classes and additional work on my part I think I can make up for that deficiency.

My other concern is job contacts from going to a school in Rochester vs a NYC school. Though as I’ve read on these forums, portfolio rules which would make school contacts irrelevant.

Any advice would be appreciated.

School contacts should never be underestimated. I’m currently looking at an incredible job opportunity that I would have never had without the connection from my professor.

As far as the degree, the degree itself isn’t as important as the content of the courses you took and the quality of your work.

I’ve heard most Product Designers say they value the BFA over an MFA, but with the additional classes and additional work on my part I think I can make up for that deficiency.

This is not a new attitude, can it be done? Sure, but I have seen / hear of many attempt this and fall flat. It’s about the time, the BFA would give you > an extra year to develop on many levels. From my observation you will also have more interaction with more students, some of whom may be your best teachers.

The grad program would be 2 years + 2 trimesters which would be nearly as long as the undergrad as I would enter as a sophomore. Also the grad program would represent over a $45,000 savings overall.

that should help, now if you spend 10+ hours a day in the undergrad studio for that entire time and attend as many crits as possible you’re most of the way there :wink: