google Buzz

Do you…

• Update your status someplace (FB/Twitter,etc) more than once a day
  • Update your status someplace (FB/Twitter,etc) once a day
  • Update your status someplace (FB/Twitter,etc) more than once a week
  • Update your status someplace (FB/Twitter,etc) once a week
  • Update your status someplace (FB/Twitter,etc) several times a month but less than once a week
  • Update your status someplace (FB/Twitter,etc) once a month
  • Update your status someplace (FB/Twitter,etc) less than once a month
  • Update your status someplace (FB/Twitter,etc) never
  • Update your status someplace (FB/Twitter,etc) other

0 voters

WTF?

Sorry, but I just don’t get it. And to add to the useless stream of info, the apparently automagically make all your prior contacts public. No thanks.

Even more obtuse and useless than FB and twitter, and a privacy issue to add to it all. if you can’t sum it up in one sentence why I need this, then it is kruft.

To remove all your contacts from being publicly accessible, check this-

R

Ps. don’t even get me started on FB and twitter…

EDIT - added a poll. would be interested to see the results…

For me it’s more like google fizzle. I don’t want it or need it.

I use twitter to follow people but not post anything. FB status updates are so pointless.

is currently replying to a core77 forum thread.

Need I say more? The world doesn’t need more updates. It needs less.

I like updates. I want to know what you did after you flossed your teeth.

Yeah, the Buzz seems like a VERY late attempt to get on the social networking train. Seems like another bust for Google, because I think Wave is also going in the toilet.

just added a poll to the post. add your vote.

R

I just disabled the function on my gmail, it automatically made me follow people I don’t barely know, wtf?

I use google reader everyday and really enjoy it.
The idea that others can share posts is great. But only, as mentioned, with control.

Buzz? no thanks.

I just disabled the function on my gmail, it automatically made me follow people I don’t barely know, wtf?

ditto. done and removed.

I love a social media debate/preach!

I’m surprised at your take rkuchinsky from a business point of view. As Gary Vaynerchuk puts it, Twitter is ‘word of mouth on steroids’, and being in a space such as footwear that has such a tight-knit online community I would have thought it’d be a major marketing tool for your business and your personal brand… Actually, while I’m on the topic, I set up the Facebook Footwear Design group, it has 1000 members and I really don’t do anything with it, if someone would like to take it off my hands and do something more productive with it be me guest.

If your using social media to consume information only then you’re missing out on its true potential, it’s about sharing and conversation! And it’s not all hype, I’ve made great contacts with this stuff, from clients, to interviews to job opportunities.

As for Google Buzz, I’m reserving judgement right now but I’m not a fan at all of having a little counter telling me how many Buzz’s I have to read. This just becomes a task! I like twitter as I can float in and out whenever I like…
Google have never been good at social products (youtube doesn’t count), but IF they can pull this off and integrate social features throughout their products, imagine how powerful that could be!

Arrgh. Just typed a whole big reply and lost it.

Here’s goes take 2.0

From my perspective Twitter (and to a certain extent) is almost all hype. It’s one of those things the media love to latch onto as the “next big thing”. Remember how a few years ago Second Life was going to “revolutionize” the world, and how we’d all be doing all of our interactions with brands and people in SL? Brands were opening virtual stores, etc. I never knew anyone how actually used it (or at least admitted to it). Twitter seems somewhat the same. Aside from a few people here, I don’t think I know anyone in real life on it.

I just can’t see the point. And now every brand has “follow us on twitter, or check us out at Redirecting...”? People want more ads? I though people were trying to get away from advertising. You know it’s jumped the shark when it’s adopted more by corporate then real people, IMHO.

I dunno who Gary is , but “Word of mouth on steroids”? Maybe I’m just an adept web surfer, but I don’t think I’ve ever missed a news item or something of interest by not using Twitter. I catch up on things via blogs, magazines, etc.

Here’s the thing - nobody I know (or here in another thread), can explain why I should use it. Give me an “elevator pitch” of Twitter and convince me. I’m not seeing the point, but maybe I am indeed missing something. As almost useless as facebook is, I can at least see the point “connect with people you know or have previously known or friends of friends”. That makes sense. “Tell me everything that someone is doing, in a short message”? Not so much.

As for your FB group, you kinda prove my point. You, like many others set up a group because you could, not because there is any purpose for it. At last count, there are at least 10 or so FB footwear or footwear related groups, another 20 I think on LinkedIn, 10 on coroflot, and at least 10 more outside groups like FootwearPros, SportsNetworker, etc. I did join a bunch originally when they first started popping up, but recently have left all of them (at least the ones I am aware I’m on). They are all useless. At best, the messages on them are “hi, I’m new here”, at worst “hi, we offer top quality leather from Pakistan”.

Everyone says Twitter and these types of groups are about networking. Do you really think a message on one of these groups (to whom the really important people I bet are not on), to make contact to someone you don’t know, is better than a phone call or personal email? I don’t think so. I can tell you that even personal calls don’t often net much, a message from someone you don’t know on a social network sure isn’t going to work.

It’s not that I’m against social media/networking (god I hate that term, almost as much as “viral”, in the whole. It’s that for a large part of it I can’t see the point. Heck, I’m very active here on the core boards and that I suppose is a social forum. If someone can explain why it’s good, by all means, I’ll try it out. I’m certainly not a techno-phobe, and in fact am normally an early adopter for all things tech and trend related.

/rant

R

PS. Just googled Gary and see he is some sort of Twitter Evangelist. Good for him. I’ll file him in my Seth Godin “says stuff that sounds important and is filled with buzzwords, but really isn’t important at all” folder. :slight_smile:

Exactly. I follow a few people on Twitter that I’d otherwise never hear anything from, and 99% of it is completely pointless but none the less entertaining to me. I certainly don’t use it for networking, and all my Facebook stuff is mostly stupid links and Seinfeld quotes I used to email my friends with. As far as I can tell, it’s simply another tool to do exactly what a pen and piece of paper used to do. Heck, even my 60+ year old parents are on Facebook, and it took Ashton Kutcher challenging CNN in a “Follow-Off” for Twitter to really explode. Once celebrities get involved, it’s all over.

I mean just look at all the sites/apps/programs out there that can share all the same information already. Foursquare, Ubertwitter, Tweetdeck, tumblr, yelp, digg, metafilter, friendster, friendfeed, etc. etc. and so on and so forth. It’s insane. Someone at google likely said, “Gee, this social networking thing is really taking off… why don’t we get in on that?”

What’s next, Google Healthcare?

OT, but anyhow -
Yikes, can you imagine. Sure, sign me up for a heart bypass “beta” surgery, with no possible way to actually speak to a real person if something goes wrong.

As much as I’d like to like google (love gmail and google is great, and google earth and maps I like), I think really it’s a case of having a good fluke product, and that’s all. If you actually look at all their products, the UI is terrible, the service is non-existent, and a whole bunch are rather useless toys (G-talk, Lattitude, Chrome, Wave, etc.). Yup, they are huge and push a lot out, but it’s a rather "throw stuff at a wall and see what sticks approach. Nothing they’ve really done is actually polished, finished, or really good.

R

I’m surprised you’re not into Twitter, too, R. It is by far my favourite of all the social networking sites.

I just can’t see the point

I use it as a news gathering /trend watching service and also a way of connecting with business people I’ve never met before.

People want more ads? I though people were trying to get away from advertising.

But it’s not about advertising for me, I won’t follow that type of account.

You know it’s jumped the shark when it’s adopted more by corporate then real people, IMHO.

To me, that doesn’t mean it’s jumped the shark at all, it’s a way of communicating with business people. I’ve met many, many people on there who I’d never have known existed if it wasn’t for the medium. People who’d have never given me the time of day should I mail them.

I dunno who Gary is , but “Word of mouth on steroids”? Maybe I’m just an adept web surfer, but I don’t think I’ve ever missed a news item or something of interest by not using Twitter. I catch up on things via blogs, magazines, etc.

Well I didnt have time to read 500 fashion blogs a day before and I doubt you did too, but I get much more relevant info now Twitter gleans all the useful info I need from them in one place.

As almost useless as facebook is, I can at least see the point “connect with people you know or have previously known or friends of friends”.

But unlike linked in, Twitter allows you to connect with people who aren’t in your network and therefore expand it.

The modern world is obsessed with it’s own self-importance and constant need for useless information. That guy from that TV show is eating waffles at that place. OMG!

It’s the same reason our “news” networks spend most of their time covering celebrities. Anna Nicole Smith’s death probably got more coverage than the Haitian earthquake.

The world is a f*'ed up place.

As for your FB group, you kinda prove my point. You, like many others set up a group because you could, not because there is any purpose for it. At last count, there are at least 10 or so FB footwear or footwear related groups, another 20 I think on LinkedIn, 10 on coroflot, and at least 10 more outside groups like FootwearPros, SportsNetworker, etc. I did join a bunch originally when they first started popping up, but recently have left all of them (at least the ones I am aware I’m on). They are all useless. At best, the messages on them are “hi, I’m new here”, at worst “hi, we offer top quality leather from Pakistan”.

Well I agree with the above, everytime someone joins I instantly think, 'so when did they get made redundant then?, but this is why I like Twitter, because it is nothing like the above. Put it this way, you could criticise Coroflot, in a similar way too. every contact I’ve ever got from there is some snake who wants me to work for nothing.

Everyone says Twitter and these types of groups are about networking.

Twitter for me is about connecting with people that you didn’t even know existed beforehand. I’ve met graduates on there, blogged about them, Tweeted it and they’ve managed to bag jobs and interviews. I’ve had offers of work myself and will be starting work with one of them soon.

Do you really think a message on one of these groups (to whom the really important people I bet are not on), to make contact to someone you don’t know, is better than a phone call or personal email? I don’t think so. I can tell you that even personal calls don’t often net much, a message from someone you don’t know on a social network sure isn’t going to work

In some ways yes I do - I wouldn’t dare friend these people on FB, I think it would be inappropriate, but Twitter is both open and closed at the same time. Of course there is a way to go about it, if you just send out ‘gizza job’ Tweets forget it.

All I’m going to say is if you’re not into it then it will probably be of no use to you. You need to follow many, many people and send out lots of tweets yourself, otherwise, then yes, it’s lame. Same goes for bulletin boards, anything.

Ok, I’ll bite. Can you describe how that process works? You are following someone or they are following you first? They tweet “hey I got a project, want some work”? I’d be very interested to know more.

What kind of “business people you’d never know existed” are you talking about? I have contacts at pretty much most of the footwear brands from old school trade show walking, and lots of stat-ups and such someone seem to find me (never mind 90% are things I wouldn’t touch).

Can you also describe the process you use “gather trends” on Twitter?

As said, if there is some use, sure I’ll give it a go. Maybe I’m just fundamentally missing something…

I’ve even checked out the Twitter feed of few people I know and respect who are on it, and still, can’t see anything I’m missing…

R

Okaaaay.

Get your account. Go to http://www.wefollow.com and pick your hashtags - what are you about? I think I picked #shoes #canals #footwear

As you know I’m a boater and I use Twitter to check flood reports, etc, this winter UK canals (there are 5000 miles) froze solid in places and boaters on different bits of the system were tweeting '#canalice reports so others knew whether the canal was navigable or not. Even my coal boat uses it to let us know when they are headed our way.

You can use wefollow to follow people with the same interests as you. I follow as many fashion journalists as I can, so I know instantly the catwalk trends as they happen, ditto fashion bloggers. Also not every newspaper writes a fashion article everty day but I miss less of these articles now I follow these people.

You can also search Twitter itself #kicks # footwear etc to find the accounts to follow.

If I find a Tweeter I like, I go through their followers and add as many as I think might be interesting. If they like your page, then they will probably follow you, that’s why it’s important to contribute. If someone I follow posts something I think my followers will like I retweet it. Ditto anything else I find online.

I didn’t even sign up for Twitter, my brother (head of etail in a huge company) did it for me. I thought, ‘WTF for??’ I only got into it after I realised it is not about Tweeting ‘I’m eating a cheese sandwich.’

Oh and it is great for oneliner jokes, I follow quite a few of them. :slight_smile:

Just came across this, ironically via Twitter. (Sorry if the language offends anyone.)

^^^^^
hahaha :laughing: