Good Product Design Magazines

The only one I’ve found so far is I.D., but I know there are more out there. What are the top ones? What are their strengths and weaknesses?

Is it better to forego print magazines altogether for online design news & blog sites?

doesn’t this thread already exist?

anyway metropolis is ok too. there is also a magazine called @issue that I like, its hard to find though and only comes out four times a year. join IDSA and they send you Innovation, as well as a newsletter. All magazines are going to be ad based, but there is still reputability in print. As in its more difficult for someone who doesn’t know what they are talking about to repeatedly write for a magazine than it is for the same person to post to a blog or website.

you should also be reading some sort of business or business of design type magazine, like business week or fast company, since we aren’t artists and business has a lot of bearing on what we are doing.

I totally feel like Ive said all this before…

Also some fashion magazines are good to keep up with various trends, you don’t need to design cell phones encrusted with swarovski crystals or plaster logos on stuff, but it helps to know what colors are important right now and what time periods other people are drawing inspiration from at any given time. For instance, you may have noticed that the early 80’s new wave is currently being rehashed in the fashion world, I have even seem some cues taken from the Memphis style in some new products this year.

Do a search on core for this. It has come up multiple times. Innovation, ID, Metropolis, Addbusters, Dwell, Popular Science & mechanics, Readymade…Just to name a few.

Also read what you like and what you are interested in. Dwell used to be one of my favorite mags. It had nothing to do with packaging but the trends from architecture and house ware eventually trickled down into packaging trends. I now see some of that modern architectural design in my style.

Sorry guys, I thought that recent thread was talking exclusively about furniture. Thanks anyway for the tips!