good design under $15

I’m looking for good design (preferably products) under $15 for an article I’m doing?

Ideas other than Post-It notes, Malaria nets, Chinese Solar panels, Lithium Batteries…

Garbo Trash can, Karim Rashid

Alas I dislike Karim. If hadn’t called his book “I Want to Change the World”, he wasn’t a total slimeball hipster in person and that his products are completely unsustainable I might like him…

Oh so you’re looking for good design (preferably products) under $15 that only YOU consider good.

Sounds like a biased article to me.

Biased article?! pot meet kettle…

you just built a little strawman into your argument with this statement: "…that only YOU consider good. " Which completely invalidates the point of your post. little annoyed or disgruntled maybe?

What article doesn’t have bias? its a good thing to have bias, or “a point of view”.

smarter trolls please.

sorry to hijhack thread…

just so it is clear, the “guest” reply pushing the Garbo can is Karim Rashid himself or Josh.

Hey Karim, screw off with the self promo crap!

“smarter trolls please.”

Wrong forum.

(?) That trashcan is 100% plastic-- toss it in your recycle bin and it will be melted down just like anything else.

under $15. not plastic? non-industrial? sustainable stuff? not made by child labor hands in poor countries for mass consumption?

tough question.

It’s a tough question, especially when the postee attacked the first valid suggestion.

If you want some good answers you might not want to squash the first signs of momentum!

also if you raised the dollar amount to $25 there would be a lot more options.

I would check out…

Legos
Afri Cola Bottles
Swingline Staplers
Timex Grip Clip Timex | Page Not Found
Target has a line of “designer” pens that are cool and cheap
OXO edge turning can opener
Umbra travel playing cards (who else has done playing cards, that’s a good one)

Staple Free Stapler

$10.00-13.50

http://www.madebyhumans.net/HomeOffice_Staple%20Free%20Stapler.htm

Some great ideas there and yes it probably wasn’t PC / diplomatic of me to respond to the first suggestion. Having met Karim a number of times I am really unimpressed by his attitude.

The trashcan was probably designed by one of his underpaid staff.

Unfortunatly $15 is my limit - my best find is a $2 malaria net which can be used as curtains…

I’m with you, I’m no Karim lover. The guy has got like two forms that he twists to fit the scale of whatever the thing is. All flash no cash.

But the line of Method house cleaning products he did (and by he I mean one of his interns or minions, or whatever it says on their cards there) for Target is pretty cool, and in your price range.

There might be something at…

http://www.mockett.com/default.asp?id=2

Tough question also a bit of a weird question, as it seems to depend on a persons definition of good design or good product design.

First off the items you listed “Post-It notes, Malaria nets, Chinese Solar panels, Lithium Batteries” I thinks would be defined as great inventions but not necessarily “good design”…

I mean paper clips and staples and even syringes are great inventions but they were created by engineers or inventors, not designers and are not what most people would consider good design…

Industrial design is an occupation predominantly revolved around aesthetics. So these products you name should look really cool and work well, utilize good ergonomics, and be extraordinarily innovative

As I don’t live in America I don’t really know what 15 bucks can get you, but have you considered the coke bottle (do they still sell that nostalgic glass one over there)

Now the coke bottle is definitely under 15 dollars, it utilized innovative ergonomics that allows the bottle to fit comfortably in the hand and also most importantly it’s form has become so identifiable that they have made a trademark of the coke bottle silhouette….fantastic!

Oh yeah and it was designed by Raymond Lowery too.

I would also be a bit worried about an author who would disregard a persons design solely because they don’t like that person… I mean you should be critical to individual designs not to the people who made them… what publication are you writing this for?

… I mean, I guess it’s your prerogative though.

And as we are talking about articles and writing please excuse my crappy spelling and grammar

HABA teethers and rattles!
http://www.haba.de/Baby.baby.0.html?&no_cache=1
Ballino and Perpeto are my auuuld favorites!
Under $7-9…great design as far as baby toys go, hardwood…water-based non-toxic dyes, made with love by well paid Germans.

I would ditto the LEGO bricks, one of the most influential toys ever, and it is probably the toy that had the most impact on every design person in the world …the “classic” brick-only creator buckets and sets are $12-15 …made in Denmark and Switzerland, a great quality product that lasts for 25-30 years.

Don’t forget the red Swingline

Now the coke bottle is definitely under 15 dollars, it utilized innovative ergonomics that allows the bottle to fit comfortably in the hand and also most importantly it’s form has become so identifiable that they have made a trademark of the coke bottle silhouette….fantastic!

Oh yeah and it was designed by Raymond Lowery too.

Actually it was redesigned by Raymond Lowey or as they say on his official site " the slenderized Coca-Cola bottle"

Check under his Bio: http://www.raymondloewy.com/home.html

Of course he redesigned the Lucky Strike package… First one to put the logo on both sides of the package. This way when the package falls on the ground you will see the logo no matter how it falls. Seems like a no brainer now but back then this wasn’t common.

i like these nifty maps: http://www.urbanmapping.com. they are just a tad over $15 (priced at $17.95), but visually stunning and useful. currently only a nyc product is available, but it sounds like more are on the way…[/url][/code]

That is one cool map!

i love 7-11’s new fangled lids for their styro coffee cups that have replaced their one-piece lid. you used to have to grab a tab and tear back the lid to create an opening. the tab could be “locked” in place to allow user to drink or compression-fit on the edge of the cup to cover the opening. they now have a two-piece deal (one piece for the lid and another piece that covers, for the lack of a better term, drink hole). probably a little more expensive to make but definitely more spillproof than some other lids i’ve seen. and definitely under $15.