GLASS TOP TABLE

I acquired a large thick pristine sheet of tempered glass.

I have access to a wood shop as well as people that have access to metal shops.

I would like to make a coffee table or a dining table. I have never built furniture before and I see this can be a good opportunity to explore that.

Any suggestions? anyone with experinces? links?

Noguchi all the way!!!

If you have access to workworking equipment then I would play around with interlocking shapes and see what you come up with. A plain old table is too boring.

There are as many ways to go about designing a coffee or dining table as there are people.

I’m not a fan of the Noguchi coffee table, but that is one way to go about it.

How about not even using a base and suspending the surface from the cieling with stainless cables?

Use caution when cutting sheets of glass on a table saw. :exclamation:

I cut a big sheet of glass on a table saw once, I lost all three of my hands and a foot!

[quote=“73lotus”]There are as many ways to go about designing a coffee or dining table as there are people.

I’m not a fan of the Noguchi coffee table, but that is one way to go about it.

How about not even using a base and suspending the surface from the cieling with stainless cables?[/quote]

Yes that would be very safe. hahahha. large glass surface swinging from the cieling. cool way to look at it, but def. not gonna work.

it a finished beveld tempered glass.

all it needs is a base.

Don´t forget that a coffe table has to be usable as well.
I would be tempted of making a base in wood that allows to put magazines, or whatever underneath.
Allright it might not be as spectacular as Noguchi´s but It might prove more useful.

Yea i agree, i honestly wouldnt want a Noguchi type anyway.

I want a more architectural, simple, angular one. and yea, with more usability, to hide/put 3 remote controls, mags, junk mail, coffe table book about coffee tables, etc…

Sounds like you realy want a box not a table?

did some prelim concept sketches

I only intend to use glass top, metal, and wood. Simpler to make the better.

I am leaning towards #4, and last two.

With #4 having all three same sized wood sections, (not as sketched), but the middle pair of legs not going all the way to the floor. all four pairs equally spaced out lengthwise of the table.

Lets see, you want a table for your big ass pies of glass? why not buy a cheep table from the thrift store and put your glass on top of it? then you will be trendy and cool! you may even get a chick!

ya- one of the later ones - very strangely resembles the table a guy in my office sketched and proposed last week for our review table. Beware of the fact you can not cut tempered glass and research laminated glass for strength. You dont want to cut off someones leg.

It was originally part of a dining table, and the base was lost. So its a finished piece.

It’s still in a wooden crate, no one has touched it since it left the factory.

It was originally part of a dining table, and the base was lost. So its a finished piece.

It’s still in a wooden crate, no one has touched it since it left the factory.[/quote]

originally top of a dining table? and you want to use it foe a coffee table? that is going to be onle large coffee table dont you think?

btw, I kike the simplicity of your sketches! to the point and clear - nice to see!

It’s still in a wooden crate, no one has touched it since it left the factory.[/quote]

originally top of a dining table? and you want to use it foe a coffee table? that is going to be onle large coffee table dont you think?

btw, I kike the simplicity of your sketches! to the point and clear - nice to see!

btw, I like the simplicity of your sketches! to the point and clear - nice to see!

An interesting take on the glass table http://www.inyourpocket.com/russia/st_petersburg/en/venue?id=RUSTENX0067

Wow, dont you love them gay strip clubs, i know i do!
are you a top or bottom weazlepopper? not that it matters, I dont do Rusians, they are all poor, drunks and look like hobos!