genometri?

Actually the article implies there could have been a lot of money involved:

“California residents buy 25 million ornamental fish a year, an eighth of the 200 million sold across the nation” and

“I think selling genetically modified fish as pets is wrong.”

But yes, I admit graft is probably a more accurate description

Genometri seem to have raised considerable interest and some interesting questions why I shall try to answer: but before that some operational principles.

Genometri is Genes+Genometri . it is inspired by genetics – or by the way nature designs and is based on parametric genometri. Nature designs by mutations (random process to some extent) and designs are selected by intense completion for survival (which is a non-random process).

Genoemtri is designed to empower the designer and not to replace designers. The selection of designs are left to the designer and therefore the quality fo design outcome is very much dependant on the designers ability.

Genometri creates a paradigm shift in design as it generative capacity in terms of speed (quality is questionable) far exceeds what can be achieved by manual processes.

Is it monkey Works?

It is to some extent, but so is the design process of nature. The ability to create 1000’s of possibilities creates with relative ease allows the designer to explore a large numer of solutions.

\

[quote]This reminds me of a story from an old school designer. It was in the early days of CAD and he was working on a housewares project, a simple container if I recall correctly. A computer or software company told him that they could give him a print out of all the design possibilities for the project, all they needed was the volume of the container.

So, a week later the company comes back with a big stack of paper. Drawn on them are cylinders that range from a metre wide and 1 mm tall to 1 mm wide and 2 metres tall! Needless to say, the designer realized what a complete and utter waste of time that exercise was![/quote]
Does it create piles of Junk designs?

No . This is where setting up process and the key technology that we have developed comes into play. If you look ate pictures of 100 angles in the gallery page of www.genoemtri.com - all of them are generated and displayed without pre-selection. As it takes about 2 minutes to generate 10 designs it is still useful with a 1/10 ratio of acceptable designs.

Is this new technology ?

It is not. My research was inspired by Kevin Kelly’s book. What is new and valuable is the great ease which these ideas can be implemented. IPR protection is currently being sought and I regret not being able to share more implemental details.

I value your views and comments . Please continue this discussion.

Sivam Krish
CTO & Founder of Genometri ltd.

I stand corrected. I never knew there could be so much money in pet fish.

o rly?

I want the desigers dictionary. It will save me load of time looking through piles and piles of design magazine and books to see what I can rip off. Man if I had the dictionary, I think I could shave 50% of my design time and spend more time on core77. One thing the dictionary will need to be at least 1000 pages if not 2000. Can’t slack on the slackers tool. Slack design rocks.

Seems like this should be done with polygonal files, that can be changed easier. I think that it might be an interesting design exercise. Do a rough model. Generate a set of iterations based on my parameters (or not) pick an interesting choice doodle with it for a while and then generate another set. Could work to generate things you did not think of doing.

Sivam, I like your idea, but the iterations dont seem fluid enough yet. They still look like output of configurations from a design table. Have you looked into combining genometri with programs like zbrush or modo?

Our focus so far has been on 3D, nevertheless there are interesting possibilities in 2D and in animation

sample 2D >> http://www.genometri.com/logo.htm

Thanks for the pointer to the interesting software companies.