Generaly a good book!

Hey all
I’am a student who has been slowly collecting a library of design books and I don’t know if this has ever been address, but when you were or if you still are a student what was the book you found most useful or still find useful generaly related to Industrial Design?

I always liked “drawing and designing with confidence” by Mike Lin. It’s a good basic book that goes over a lot of different drawing styles. He came to do a workshop at my school and his tips really do work. I would suggest taking what he has to say and then creating your own style.

Another one that I have seen mentioned several times is “presentation techniques” by Dick Powell. A lot of people seem to like it and I have been considering getting it myself.

I would also check some of the online resources because many of them are just as good or better than some of the books that are out there.

Dreyfuss’ The Measure of Man & Woman: Human Factors in Design…some bad-bad-bad-bad person “borrowed” it off my studio desk. The “borrower”, if you’re reading this - shame on you, you made a loveable little girl very-very sad.

measure of man and woman is a great one! if you do things like display systems where the height of screens and controls are important than its real handy to have around. Sorry to hear yours got stolen, might have to put mine under lock and key.

If you can find the other version they are really cool. Humanscale 1-2-3, 4-5-6, and 7-8-9. The have essentially the same info as measure of man but they are reference cards where you turn the wheel to get the numbers you need. You can find copies on amazon sometimes.

I would also put any donald norman book in your library, the invisible computer, design of everday things, emotional design. Cradle to cradle was also a good book - william mcdonough.

Geomtery of Design by Kimberly Elam and a couple of the Chris Lefteri materials books are currently on the top of the “book pile” in my apartment.

Two books i really like and that i strongly recommend you add your library, if you havent got it.

Japanese Design by Sarah Lonsdale

Its a book with a lotta pictures documenting every aspect of Japanese Design.Everything from Japanese fashion, architecture, interiors, products, technology, transportation, advertising, graphics… the list goes on.
If you’re captivated by Japanese culture, like i am, then you’re gonna love this.

AppleDesign : The Work of the Apple Industrial Design Group

The name says it all. A must for all the Apple lovers.