General Question About In-State Tuition

Is it true that I should be able to get in-state tuition status from any state undergrad program after 1 year in that particular undergrad program (ex. OSU, U of Cincinnati, ASU, VTech, GTech)?

If that’s true I could save a buttload of money on these ID programs instead of the relatively expensive private universities (Pratt, CMU, RISD, Art Center).

You need to establish your residency there and show you are completely independent financially from your parents. That means they will no longer be claiming you as a dependent on their taxes.

Do you have any idea how it works out if I take out student loans in my name? Right now I’m not a dependent but I just got out of school (26 yo) and will probably working for a year before applying to undergrad ID programs (I’ve already decided not to go the grad ID route).

I’m guessing I will only have at most 10k saved for tuition purposes and will have to take out loans for my (hopefully less than) 4 years at an undergrad ID program.

Edit: I’m guessing I’ll do a work study to get some money to pay for tuition etc but it’s not like I’ll be earning much money while in school.

you should have much less of a problem than an 18 year old moving into a new state.
If you know what state’s schools you prefer, try and work there for that one year, then there’s no doubt that your a resident.

Do you have an undergraduate degree already? if so, why not go the grad route? a lot of places will have a 3 year program for people who come from a non ID program. It’s basically a foundation year and then two years of grad school.

If you could move to the state you want to go to school and then work for a year you would be set. You should have a much easier time being 26.

What’s your background education?

As far as the money goes… try and pick a program that requires you to do internships. That way you can at least offset that semester’s tuition with your job.

even if your 26 you are going to have to gain residency to get the deals.

if you’re planning to work a year anyway, go to the state where you want to go to school and get a job and an apartment, that’s about all it takes to save a large amount of tuition money…

I have a BA in Biology/Physiology and 2 years of med school under my belt (thus the interest in medical devices). I’ve been looking to work in a research lab position possibly at OSU or U of Cincinnati (I have an apartment in Chicago and the default is to do research in the Chicago area … for one, I know I’ll get paid more in Chicago than in Ohio) since the 6 undergrad ID programs I plan on applying to are OSU, U of Cincinnati, UIUC, ASU, VTech, and GTech. I’ve talked to several ID students/graduates who told me that it might be best if I go the undergrad route since I have no experience in foundational ID classes and although I know some graduate programs offer foundational classes I feel more comfortable working from the ground up and getting a solid base of skills (I would have to take GRE also).

If I had a choice I’d go to U of Cincinnati (3.5 yrs of [in-state] tuition + 1.5 yrs mandatory paid internship) but I’ll need to work on my portfolio (I’ll have a year to work on it from scratch).

Side question: I apply as a transfer student correct? I don’t think I apply with all the HS students as a normal undergrad right?

If you are in the Chicago area you may want to look into IIT.

You may want to just look into a transitional Master’s program. A lot of times you can get into a 2 year master’s program where you do an additional foundation year. It could mean the difference between 4 years and an additional bachelors or 3 years and a master’s. Just something to think about.

Yeah I did look at IIT’s grad program which seems very strong. One thing I worry about graduate ID programs in general is the amount of independence/flexibility given (I would prefer a fairly structured program with a little independence to do whatever you want/flexibility) as well as how much of the teaching is how should I say … intellectual theorizing rather than hands on work. Frankly I want to do some hands on work (although I realize that research and business aspects are also important [for some reason I have this idea that ID grad programs are all about research and business aspects of ID]).

I would think you should get your hands pretty dirty in the foundation year.

One of the teachers on my masters committee was a grad from the IIT masters program. I know he did a ton of research leading up to his final project. This included research, observation, intellectual discussions, sketching, building models, doing advanced presentations etc… he has a very reality based approach to design.

Here is an article that discusses two contrasting theories of design education. It compares IIT and Cranbrook. Basically the article is about methods-driven and scientific approach based approach at IIT versus the experimental and semantic approach at Cranbrook. It should help give you some info to think about when looking at schools.

If you end up going the true undergrad BFA/BA route, yes you apply as a transfer. That way you aren’t stuck taking intro English courses, etc. since you’ve already taken them for credit previously. Most of your credits should transfer from Math, Science, etc. classes since you’re coming from a Biology background to ID.

Take a very serious look at the admissions requirements for in-state. It’s usually not as easy as it sounds.

Typically they require anywhere from 1-3 years of proof that shows you lived in the state for reasons OTHER then education. That means tax returns, drivers licenses, proof of employment, ownership of a house, etc. I’m sure it varys but I went to V Tech and I know it was basically impossible to transfer to in-state without living and working for more than 1 year.

Thanks for that link! It has helped formalize a lot of the inner-dialogue I’ve been having regarding the fundamental differences between these two approaches to design.