future of luxury... ICON A5- folding-wing private airplane

Great video here…

The folding airplane idea has been around for a long time. The idea of a rich playboy, towing a plane like he tows a boat to a location, and then flying seems nice on paper… but then why wouldn’t he just fly there?

Anyways, this has got to be the best looking one I’ve seen from a pure form standpoint. Whether or not it has a snowballs chance is another question.

The folding airplane idea has been around for a long time. The idea of a rich playboy, towing a plane like he tows a boat to a location, and then flying seems nice on paper… but then why wouldn’t he just fly there?

yo,

my initial thoughts exactly. also included “prick!” and “wealthy SOBs”

however, half the product is showing it off. I’m sure that’s one of the main marketing points (you can actually tow it to the country club). essentially you can show it off like the collection of supercars in the garage.

also- no runway required to be built at your home.

They presented it at last years IDSA conference.

The design is very slick. But there are still a lot of regulations around the ultra light aircraft, and the real question is in todays economy - are rich people really looking for a towable light sport aircraft?

It almost seems like this might be a massive culmination of “Sharper Image” design. Things that you’ll look at and say “That’s awesome! Why would I ever buy that?”

ultra lights are like big dogs. cute when you get them but soon you tire of the maintaince. The other problem is with the regs, speed, range, and load. In many respects these are just "motorcycles"but vastly more expensive.

My uncle is the guy working on these: http://www.electraflyer.com

Electric so theres virtually no maintenence. But you’re right - I wouldn’t even call these Motorcycles - theres plenty of cheap bikes you could ride around the planet with no problems. These are about as practical as mini-bikes. They might be fun to ride around a parking lot, but you’re gonna get arrested or killed once you set foot on a real road.

There are some very interesting regulation changes happening right now in the ultralight aircraft section. My uncle is on the FAA board for determining those requirements, which actually is starting to make some favorable advantages for electric powered aircraft. I haven’t followed up with him in months, so we’ll have to see if he comes out with anything new for this years Oshkosh festival.