Furniture design

I am looking to have an apartment redecorated. Although I kind of know where I can get the usual stuff, I try to find a a company that can build on measure (custom build) storage, tables, chairs, sofas etc for this place including children rooms. I have rough style ideas of what I want, I measured up and also have a colour scheme. Just need to find the right people to work with. Any ideas?

Phone book - custom woodworkers/cabinetmakers, the best ones will have metal and glass connections.

one off furnituremakers are typically artist/craftsmen, this will cost you a bundle - be prepared.

A bundle may not even cover it…

One year ago I was in Shanghai, being wife of expat there. We checked a couple of local furniture makers and found these: www.j4kid.com
They helped us design and build (from scratch or from our rough sketches) desk and storage for kids room, custom build sofa, table with chairs and matching cabinet. Not all wood sorts were available, so some are in a mdf-veneer combination. Rather impressed with their service/quality/price ratio. All is planned, detailed drawings before signing contract etc. Even after shipping back to US, pricing stays way below to the ‘bundle(s)’ here.

maybe that there LOW LOW PRICES have something to do with them ripping off other designers/mfgs.

but hey…if that makes it so you can buy your kid 10 things instead of 5, good for you!!! :angry:

[quote=\\\“asango\\\”][quote=\\\“pink_aah\\\”]One year ago I was in Shanghai, being wife of expat there. We checked a couple of local furniture makers and found these: www.j4kid.com
They helped us design and build (from scratch or from our rough sketches) desk and storage for kids room, custom build sofa, table with chairs and matching cabinet. Not all wood sorts were available, so some are in a mdf-veneer combination. Rather impressed with their service/quality/price ratio. All is planned, detailed drawings before signing contract etc. Even after shipping back to US, pricing stays way below to the \\\'bundle(s)\\\' here.[/quote]

maybe that there LOW LOW PRICES have something to do with them ripping off other designers/mfgs.

but hey…if that makes it so you can buy your kid 10 things instead of 5, good for you!!! :angry:[/quote]

… As far as I know - I have a limited 4 year china experience -, designers, employees, will change job faster in shanghai than they will here. For a 10 dollar rise they will start somewhere else. This forces the boss to pay higher salaries to the people he want to continue to work with… this creates a market price for most of the goods… this is far below what i would have paid here. And yes it was more expensive then the cheapest \'made in china\' stuff. But having it custom made, we probably wont need \'5 or 10 things\'.

I’m surprised Stokke hasn’t sued these guys. They’ve not only totally lifted their high chair, but their crib too. Oh, and I hope you paid extra for the lead-free paint option.