Furniture design degree VS 3-D design degree

So here would be the question.

A furniture design degree from RISD
Vs.
3-D design degree from Cranbrook

Here are the things I am wondering about after graduation and during the school year.

• I am not necessarily worried about getting into a high paying job after graduation, but I would like to obtain a job within my interest which can be better defined as not ID but not Furniture design, more 3-D design. (Obvious answer then would be cranbrook) But I do not like the area its in and my surroundings affect my work. But I am not sure that RISD’s furniture design program would be too limiting to the conceptual ideas I have. I do not want to be labeled this or that, that is why 3-D design label appeals to me more, because its not so narrow and allows for more than just things that are mass produced, I am more about Idea and concept than if I can get a job with nike or will my design make me tons of money. (Obvious answer cranbrook I know) But I love Rhode Island, and I do like the school. So with that said, I am not looking for after graduation picking up a job that makes me 40-50 a year, I am more worried about doing what I love, and if that means 30 a year than so be it.

you get the point I am not about the money but getting placed in a job that suits my needs of thinking. So is going to RISD for furniture design going to hurt my chances of getting into a firm that does “id or 3-d design” because of the label?
And also for a more conceptual thinker would cranbrook be an obvious choice over RISD?

I just want to say something about the importance of place when choosing a school. Obviously, you will be influenced by your surroundings, and you’re right to have pointed that out. What are your issues about Cranbrook’s location? Do you not like the campus, Bloomfield Hills, or Detroit? I’ve visited the campus before and, from a design standpoint, I found it breathtaking. As for the area around it, yeah, the suburbs suck and Detroit has some cool spots but also kind of sucks. However, you really also need to consider the people you’ll be around and the kinds of resources you’ll have, not to mention the opportunities that are unique to each school.

have you visited the schools yet?

RISD’s grad program in furniture (I assume your thinking Masters since that’s the only option for Cranbrook) is Arts/Crafts training. You are expected to have sufficient technical skills to design+build furniture from primarily wood and metal, then they provide you with introductions to the major galleries and private collectors and send you off to compete with the few hundred people who earn thier living doing gallery furniture. They dont overlap with the ID grad program and you’d find it hard to get a job in ID wiht that degree.

Why would you want a Masters in the 1st place?

Just curious, what’s the general concensus out there about Pratt’s ID program?

I’d tend to agree that the right school is the important thing here. You will only be there for 2 or 4 years and if you do it right you will be so busy that you won’t have much time to get off campus anyway. Many people go to Pratt just because it is in New York. Not a great reason. You should go where it feels right or you will always feel like you should have gone somewhere else.