frm the front page "day in the life of a designer 2030.

a visual “map” of connections and “thoughts” of a hyper connected “designer” of 2030…ok its real cool for the social network types but zippy says (here because for some reason they dont print my comments out front) Its all buzzy buzzy busy busy…no time for contemplation, consideration, or daydreaming. CC and D are the times (not to mention a few drinks) when we are at our best creativitly. We do our best problem solving when we are decoupled and relaxed, not buzzzing about being social insects. I see a time when the high paid, high profile designers will proudly say “only 45% connected” showing their clients they get the real good while their army of drones…connect.

agreed. disconnect. think, maybe even read something longer than a blog post.

I’m becoming less of a fan of the hyper connectedness our wonderful technology brings us. yeah calling my sis overseas for free is nice, but the anxiety of knowing everything that’s going wrong with the world every 5 minutes (without having any real understanding of it) is hard to manage at times.

its funny, when I saw that map when it was first posted I thought to myself, “who would want to live like that?”.

dude if your not CONNECTED your not one of the COOL KIDS! :laughing: its funny, as you age the whole socical network thing just evaporates, think about it in your teens/20’s would you ever spend a evening “in” unless mortaly sick? In your 30’s its the weekend, 40’s its sat. The whole SN hypershit is just the current version of .bomb maina.

hey I like socializing as much as the next person, but this obsessive compulsive life dressed up as productivity is lame.

I’ve noticed this when we’ve been interviewing for some software/firmware people. The majority are just flesh extensions of google. Seems like the easier it is to access information, the less people are inclined to learn. I bet half of programmers (esp. web) would be rendered impotent if they lost their internet connection.

Can someone explain that poster to me? Maybe I’m already living this fast paced jet-set lifestyle, because I can’t be bothered with reading 1000 tiny paragraphs with techno-babble.

I would like to know the age of people who think this social networking/web 2.0 stuff isn’t useful. Either we are heading for a change of course, or Gen X just can’t deal with web 2.0.

A technique that I used a lot for forecasting trends in University was to take a hot trend today and describe the opposite. Perhaps that will be web 3.0, a complete disconnect. Another option is that we integrate ourselves so much with the network that we no longer see a difference between online and off-line.

The web allows for anonymity with free flowing content, good and bad, to spew itself out of control without a dam, without a face. As it evolved the web users with their innate human nature that desires community slowly works to unveil the cloaks of anonymity to connect with more people than one desires to in the non-ether realm.

As we get to understand more the web is an incredible technology that not only connects us to each other easily and efficiently, but that panders and expoits our very nature to connect and express our opinions.

Look at Zippy - he appears to chastise the future at hand, yet he expresses himself here way more than others :smiley:

raises hand
to me its a nice shiny trinket. it has some cool tricks, but I don’t really use it more than a online contact list/phone book. we tend to latch onto new stuff like its all good, but how often to we ask whether the technology is a net positive. to really get the most out of social networking, you have to constantly monitor and participate in it. it becomes cumbersome, taking more time out of our already short days. also i find the interaction shallow at best.

texting is a great example. how often have you spent 7 mins typing out a long message only to realize it would have taken 1 min to call.

They might not cite actual percentages, but i definitely agree with the sentiment.

It is hard enough now to avoid the onslaught of information, and I can only see it getting worse (better?). As creative professions require individual thought, I believe the best designers will employ some mechanism (be it software, hardware, mental, etc.) to filter out the noise. The level of connection will then vary as a function of an individuals ability to filter information.

Hyperconnection isn’t bad, but in today’s world it can be tough to extract the signal from the noise.

Not to be a google-phile, but Google Reader and Google News are pretty good tools for imrpoving the signal/noise ratio

Completely agree, I use Google Reader almost exclusively and really only visit the actual blogs if the content won’t load in reader. It’s so much better to be able to see a solid collection of all the things you are interested in without those annoying flash adds spreading themselves over the page every two seconds…

To be honest, I think the article is mostly chaff dressed to sound important. Most of the really interesting aspects of the hyper connected world wont/cant be summed up by a single individual’s experience. Plus, the layout of the map was really hard to read…

Plus, the layout of the map was really hard to read…

Shouldn’t legibility be the first thing a designer takes care of on a project?

speaking of google reader and signal to noise ratio…

Core, could you maybe fragment your blog feed? I would love to subscribe to it, but 67.7 posts per week (according to GR) is a little too much for me

I think this will result in an extreme polarization between socials and a-socials, yet another thing you’ll need in order not to be marginal.
Let’s hope people get bored with it before this happens, just look at what’s happening with MySpace at the moment.

I also have the impression that a lot of these so called innovations make our working days longer rather than shorter.
The reason why we see unemployment as a being bad is purely because of our economic system…

ummmmm unemployement leads to starvation after a time, no such thing as a free lunch bucko.

Not every country’s social security system equals the one in the States. :wink:
Anyway, if people would divide their work a bit better rather than one person working 12h/day and another 0 we wouldn’t need such a system.
I even think that the áverage should be lowered.
People would be earning less, but as less unnecessary things would be developed we wouldn’t need to spend money on it either.
“People want what they know, but they don’t know what they want.”

This video I found on the boards is an extreme but good illustration; The Story of Stuff - Ch.5: Consumption - YouTube