Freelancing and software licencing

Hey,

i’m in talks with someone about doing my first freelance job :slight_smile: but I was wondering how other people here licence their software. I have student versions/licences but couldnt afford photoshop or solidworks at the moment.

I just want to get an idea of how other freelancers tackled this problem, if freelancing picks up I’m sure I could try and get a grant or something to help cover start up costs and buy full licences but that would be futher down the road. Thanks in advance.

I think most people in your situation use cracked software until they can afford a license. I’m not condoning it, just reporting it.

One thing that I’ve seen work, is to simply write the president of a software company and explain your situation & ask for a break on the first year cost. You’d be surprised at how well this works!

Good luck!

I’ve heard of companies offering very cheap (or free) upgrades from student to full license, definitely contact them and let them know you are trying to do the right thing.

Upgrades can be cheap and also, if there’s an option to do the freelance work onsite, you can use their software until you save up for your own. It helps as a freelancer to have a client or 2 that you have that option with for just these scenarios. Drop your rates a bit, work inhouse for a few of the projects while you save for your software money.

You need to own the tools to do the work! If you got your degree in “delivery” and wanted to freelance would you steal a truck to do it?

If your serious about being in business for yourself, make the investment required to do the work. I know it doesn’t seem like a big deal to use student software or cracked software to do work for pay, who would it hurt anyway. Well it hurts all of us who do it legally, who have the overhead of equipment, software, office space, insurance, etc., etc., to factor into the cost of doing work.

When I was a student, it was the free route.

Since then, I’ve used my computer for personal and freelance, and the licenses have been paid.

I also remember CDs being passed around that were like gold dipped diamond whispers.

“Did you hear that Mark got the new Alias on a CD? he got it from Dave, but now John has it.”

You could actually SEE the disc every once in a while…
like catch a glimpse of the blue mirror reflection out of the corner of your eye as it was being quickly and secretly handed from one to another, until it was finally passed to you, and only if you promised to pass it on to the next promised person.

As if everyone knew what was on THAT CD, since we were all using CDs to transfer files all the time.

A very fun and strange phenomenon.

It was like a secret society, secret hand shake thing. You couldn’t even ask to be invited, it/they chose you.
Very spy-like too.

Feel like a company could tap into that experience / feeling.

It’s tough considering how expensive the programs are, but that’s just the way it goes. If you don’t end up getting your money’s worth out of the programs, you can always sell the licenses. That’s completely legit, as far as I know. It comes down to who is the actual registered user of the software.

With the RIAA cracking down on file-sharing these days, personally, I’m not about taking a risk.

The fact that you OWN legit software can be used as a promotional tool too. Makes you appear much more professional.

The fact that you OWN legit software can be used as a promotional tool too. Makes you appear much more professional.

I think its a feeling that can make you feel more confident perhaps. In turn, that is felt by the client.

But I don’t think you can really add it to your resume… or maybe you can.

Funny, this came up today while in the office. Co-worker just returned from China with Solidworks Premium. Asked if I wanted it. I drooled. I cringed, but told him that I was saving up for my own copy ($7000!!!)

I just want to be legit. But it pisses me off to no end that I might be competing with people that don’t have legit software. I try to own everything I use.