Freelance Advice

I will be starting my first feelance position in a few weeks (hooray!) and outside of the design process I’m not really sure of how to go about doing things. Is there a sample contract online? What other paperwork do I need? How should I go about billing the client? Any other advise would be greatly appreciated!

…i am sure ‘boilerplate’ is available, but over the years, i have hired some bigtime studios and i have worked freelance myself but i have never used a formal contract…just the project outlined in scheduled phases, deliverables for each phase and the charges for same, and a payment schedule…we sign and date the outline and that is that…your client will likely ask you to sign a non-disclosure agreement to protect their investment…these are straight forward documents and easily understood, just be sure to read it and make sure it is reasonable and agreeable to you…i bill my clients at the end of each phase (usually 2-4 weeks in duration) and stipulate that any deliverables which are to follow will not be surrendered until outstanding invoices are paid…i used quickbooks and invoiced thru email so i would usually get a check within a few days…congrats on the new gig, freelance is feast or famine for the first six months or so, but it is sooo sweet when the clients start calling you…it just doesn’t get any better than that…