France, Finland?

I’m going abroad for a year to study ID (I’m currently a third year ID-student). I’m thinking les Ateliers in Paris (because I would like to improve my french) or UIAH in Helsinki (because I’ve heard it’s a great school). Does anyone have an opinion on which I should choose? I’ve heard that Les ateliers is more artsy , while UIAH has a huge range of interesting classes. I dunno… :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

Personally I would go for France since you already have a background in the language. You would be able to take part in more activities and get more out of it culturally.

The problem you are going to face with UIAH is that they only accept 9% of the people that apply to the school and almost all of the classes are taught in Finnish. If you haven’t researched the language yet I can tell you that it is one of the most difficult to learn in the world as it is a Fenno-Ugric language. Do a little research and you’ll find that the only languages similar to it that can be used as reference are Estonian and Hungarian. On the UIAH website they recommend you learn the language and take all of your first year classes in it.

If you want to go to a Scandinavian school you might want to also check out the programs at Umea or Konstfack in Sweden. I think most of the classes there are taught in English but I heard from someone that Konstfack requires you know Swedish to graduate even though all the classes are taught in English, something to research.

I should also tell you that Umea, while having a great program, is so far north that you might literally freeze to death while trying to go to class in the winter. I told a friend from Stockholm that I wanted to go there and she looked at me like I was insane. On the school website they actually describe their location by giving you the distance to the arctic circle and tell you that the next closest town is in Finland across the Gulf of Bothnia.

Hopefully Im not discouraging you too much but I think it’s good information to have.

well it’s not that cold. i’m thinking of establishing one of my office locations in syberia. if you want you can join me for a swim after you graduate from umea.

well, I’m further north than helsinki at the moment (trondheim, norway)… Anyways, all the master classes in helsinki are supposed to be taught in english.

Well if you’re already up that far north than it isn’t a big deal. I thought you were in the US or something. For me going that far north is like going to school in Alaska, too damn cold, too isolated. Here if it drops below 60 Fahrenheit I start getting out winter clothes, its all a matter of perspective.

I would still check on the langauge issue just to make sure, thats the biggest problem I have heard most people talk about when going to school in Sweden or Finland.

I’ll look into it! :slight_smile: