Foreign Languages to Learn for ID

What are some “should know” foreign languages for a industrial designer for the next, say, 25 to 50 years?

Chinese should definitely be one. Anything else? I heard Italian might be good…

Chinese is nice to know, but not essential, and almost certainly not worth the effort it takes to really learn it (unless you live there). It sounds obnoxious to say it, but English is the universal language of commerce. If you speak English, you don’t really need anything else, although it’s polite and sometimes useful to have a basic knowledge of the other guy’s language.

I second Scott. English+one other of your choice.

I speak French too and since learning it, I’ve noticed that it gives my thinking a little more flexibility. I have no idea if this really impacts my creativity, but I like to think so.

I would recommend Spanish over Chinese for a North American to learn. I think there will be more new opportunities in South America over the next 20-30 years than anywhere else. Note the word new.

It depends on what your long term goals are. If you see yourself in USA in next 25 to 50 years, then I would agree with Mr. 914 on English and Spanish. If your desire is to work in Europe, or in US for a European based company, then that may influence your selection. Language is more than just ability to understand and communicate cross-culturally. Taking the initiative to learn a foreign language provides an opportunity to understand another culture and different value systems, which can in itself be even more valuable for a designer.
Remember, all designers have a core competency that transends all language barriers: the ability to communicate through drawing. The only other ‘foreign’ language I would suggest is the language of ‘Business’.