Ford new face - 2010 Ford Taurus & security question

Aside from the design, this illustrates how difficult it is to keep things under wraps these days. The photo looks like it has been taken with a camera phone in the design or model studio (note clay model in background).
Do any design industries, firms have policies covering electronics (phone/cameras) in studio, in addition to confidentiality clauses?

PS. The hub, hub over release of confidential information could also be Ford’s attempt at a viral marketing campaign to raise interest/awareness of efforts. If a 2010 model, I would assume it will hit the roads next year.

It would make sense if the viral marketing campaign were the case. What better way to start a little buzz in this uber competitive marketplace than with a little “spy” photo from an “insider”

From people I’ve talked to, you are not typically allowed cameras or phones into auto studios. I’m betting that if Ford didn’t know this was being leaked, they will find the person soon. That’s assuming this is real.

I’ve visited GM and anyone with a camera/camera phone was TOLD to leave it in the car or surrender it at the door. Not only that but we weren’t even ALLOWED in the design studios - we didn’t get further than a conference room with no window.

Not like there was anything cool to see anyways. :laughing:

omigod!

don’t tell the designers who worked on the current honda accord, hyundai sonata, mercedes c-class, or chrysler sebring 5 years ago or they might go back in their time machines and rip this car off…wait…

the whole automotive styling confidentiality thing is such a cold war cia detroit old boys mentality when the rest of the world is so moving on. empty styling and me-too decoration and illogically increasing wheel size by 1 inch every 5 years is nothing to protect or keep under wraps.

this entire genre of empty yet endless automotive m@asturbation shouldn’t even be graced with the word ‘design’ anymore it is so lacking in any real substance or innovation. another generation of arbitrary detailing and rehashed teenage wet dream show cars and endless detroit promises and feel good green conferences while the world rots. and rots. and rots.

excuse me while i vomit - oh, thank god, there is a brand new u.s. ford focus with sunroof to serve as a vomit receptacle.

omigod!

don’t tell the designers who worked on the current honda accord, hyundai sonata, mercedes c-class, or chrysler sebring 5 years ago or they might go back in their time machines and rip this car off…wait…

the whole automotive styling confidentiality thing is such a cold war cia detroit old boys mentality when the rest of the world is so moving on. empty styling and me-too decoration and illogically increasing wheel size by 1 inch every 5 years is nothing to protect or keep under wraps.

this entire genre of empty yet endless automotive m@asturbation shouldn’t even be graced with the word ‘design’ anymore it is so lacking in any real substance or innovation. another generation of arbitrary detailing and rehashed teenage wet dream show cars and endless detroit promises and feel good green conferences while the world rots. and rots. and rots.

excuse me while i vomit - oh, thank god, there is a brand new u.s. ford focus with sunroof to serve as a vomit receptacle.

I look at car designs and marketing from the 80’s (insert many different time-frame examples here), and they blow away the ‘me-too’ car designs of today. I feel like if I were a new car buyer then, I could choose from 5-7 different MAKES and then choose between 2 or 3 different models within those makes, all totally different and unique from each other. in my opinion, save for one or two brands out there still, all new cars look like sh*t, are all generically styled, and share no unique differences until you approach the 70K range.

I’m currently looking at new/newer used cars at the moment, and I’m left with no desirable options.

this is just a whining fest though. nothing will change until a designer takes the position of marketing director in a major car company, and then, that could still mean major trouble.

de·sign Audio Help [di-zahyn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object)

1. to prepare the preliminary sketch or the plans for (a work to be executed), esp. to plan the form and structure of: to design a new bridge.
  2. to plan and fashion artistically or skillfully.
  3. to intend for a definite purpose: a scholarship designed for foreign students.
  4. to form or conceive in the mind; contrive; plan: The prisoner designed an intricate escape.
  5. to assign in thought or intention; purpose: He designed to be a doctor.
  6. Obsolete. to mark out, as by a sign; indicate.
    –verb (used without object)
  7. to make drawings, preliminary sketches, or plans.
  8. to plan and fashion the form and structure of an object, work of art, decorative scheme, etc.
    –noun
  9. an outline, sketch, or plan, as of the form and structure of a work of art, an edifice, or a machine to be executed or constructed.
    **10. organization or structure of formal elements in a work of art; composition.
  10. the combination of details or features of a picture, building, etc.; the pattern or motif of artistic work: the design on a bracelet.**
  11. the art of designing: a school of design.
  12. a plan or project: a design for a new process.
  13. a plot or intrigue, esp. an underhand, deceitful, or treacherous one: His political rivals formulated a design to unseat him.

nope, still fits.

Either your memory is severely limited, or you are too young to remember. We only focus on the products from those eras that are icons, but I assure you that if you took a solid cross section of the products in any industry, form any decade, the majority of it is forgotten crap.

If only they designed cars like they used to. Sigh…

Chrysler? Ford? Chevy? Who knows or cares?

well, i guess this takes us to the ‘definition of design’ game. seems to me that many of the definitions listed above are setting the bar pretty low and are not specific enough:

‘to make drawings,’ ‘composition,’ artistic work,’ ‘fashion artistically’ = couldn’t we just call that art? or drawing? or sculpture?

isn’t there a difference between ‘song stylings’ (karaoke) and ‘song writing?’ i would like to think that ‘design’ is more than just visual trickery and decoration and includes some substance, innovation, function. lip-synching is not the same as karaoke singing, and karaoke singing is not the same as actual songwriting. seems to me the ford example of car ‘design’ (and too many others) is the equivalent of mere lip-synching or ‘song STYLING’ and hardly earns actual ‘song writing’ credit.

so let them have words like ‘car STYLIST’ (as they once proudly and more accurately called themselves) and let them say they ‘SKETCH for a living’ and are ‘working on a SHOW car’ - but deeper words like ‘design’ and ‘concept’ should be reserved for more worthy applications.

sing it to Webster.

ford has just been having trouble adjusting to their new slice of the pie:
Model-T-Jump.jpg

When I visited Freightliner, I had to surrender my cellphone. My guess is this person just slipped through, maybe a friend or family member of an employee.

design, a renderd concept
concept a notion or idea…see assholes (everybody has one and most stink) :laughing: