Footwear Design Software for Mac

Hello all…

What easy to learn and use software does one recommend for footwear design on a mac? Since this will be a learning experience I would also need to have great reading materials/books…

I live and work in Manhattan as a textile sales agent in the fashion industry and I’ve always wanted to design my own footwear but I’m having a bit of trouble deciding the best software to use…

There’s some other discussions here on board regarding 2d or 3d but nothing really concluding which is recommended… I was thinking Rhino but not sure…

Any feedback would help…

Thanks
Frank

Not too much footwear is 3d. Use skaethes and illustrator/PS as your mail tools.

R

Thanks so much…

What do you mean by skaethes? and why do you mention mail tools?

Yes I was looking into PSE instead of PS but I wanted to see what others thought…

That’s probably a typo of “main tools”. PSE (Photoshop Elements I assume) is good enough to do renders with.
But don’t get too caught up on the tools in the beginning. Draw, learn to create good designs first. The computer is just another tool to show a good design to people, it won’t make you create a good design.

Thanks

I have man drawings and notes throughout the years but I’m looking for a tool that I can portray the textures, colors and details…

I really would like to know what software design tool is the way to go and why it is the way to go?

Why is 3D not of interest? Designers say it’s not really needed but maybe because the present time it’s not really needed but in the future it might be in demand… Is the techniques that much different then 2D?

in my opinion…
3d takes too long when usually someone overseas in the factory will make a 3d file of your outsoles to create the molds anyways.
I may have 30-50 protos i designed made up in a year, to do 3-d versions of all of those would take too long. In my opinion if 3d ever becomes a necessity in the field it will be done by a team overseas or a strictly 3d imaging team within a corporation that works with the designers.

also, Pattern makers overseas are used to working from 2-d linework.

that all being said, if you want to use 3d i think it could be a useful tool, its pretty hard to do it well, ive only seen a few examples, but i think the point was that if you want to get involved with shoe design software, dont worry about 3d as much.

I use photoshop and illustrator exclusively… and alot of pencil and paper.

Because sampling is so quick. Because in fashion there often isn’t time. You can’t try on a 3d design, so you could spend hours on it and then you still wuldn’t know that it might not work on the foot. If it doesn’t fit, you can forget sellling it. I recently did a rush project for an athleisure brand (owned by famous UK multi brand company) any outsider would probably assume that I did full illustrator spec work and probably photoshop renders too.

Well, there wasn’t time at all, the design manager recruited me when the project was already way too late and he had run out of time to get it designed before a China visit. We didn’t go to CAD in the end, they went to the factory with the hand renders and worked directly from them.

In fast fashion, (especially womens) it’s pretty uncommon to go to CAD, again there isn’t time. Footwear designers tend to work on a huge amount of product over the course of a year, alot of development, say compared to other kinds of designers. I reckon 300 /400 styles a year is probably my turnover, longest time to design a style about two weeks, shortest time about 1/2 an hour and everything inbetween.

if you want to become good at footwear design, spend most of your time gettting the proportions correct because this is vital in order to get good samples back.

you have to be real sick with illustrator. 3d cad is a good skill to have… some companies use it to develop outsoles, but the problem is that it simply takes to long. illustrator is quick, efficient, and can portray your concepts easily to clients and factories.

I would say proficient in Illustrator, but to be able to draw in proportion is the most important thing of all.

Hi all and thank you for all the feedback…

Yes I agree that the anatomy of the foot and etc. is very important… I am also a runner and I’ve learned so much just by analyzing a athletic shoe and their material placement due to various foot placement for runners…

Well it looks like I’m investing in Illustrator CS5 and Photshop CS5…

Question - Should I just pay for the two listed above or should I pay a few more dollars and just get one of the suite packages?
Any good websites for good deals?

Thanks all…

Illustrator is all you really need. Photoshop is nice, but if you are budget conscious illustrator will suffice for both renderings and technical details

Hi, I dunno if this is much help but I went to MODA at the NEC at the beginning of the month. I came across a company called Shoemaster based in Somerset they do lot’s of software specifically for footwear design that then converts to techincal sketches and renderings easily, the program’s good because it works well with photoshop and illustrator too, not sure how compatible it is with a mac though. Anyway I wrote an article on them because they were really helpful,

http://shoespot.co.uk/shoespots-visit-to-moda/

Hope it’s the kind of thing you’re looking for.

Hi,

you’ll need vector programs…Illustrator (best)…freehand (not bad)…coreldraw (hate it…crap for mac,you´ll need windows app).

and pixel programs…Photoshop (best)…Corel PhotoPaint (crap).

Forget about 3-D renders…they´re time wasters…it is nice to have a knowledge though.

Hope this helps…