Footwear design/development book

Hi All,

I’ve been thinking recently (actually, I had the idea a while ago), to work on publishing a book version of my online footwear design/development blog, First Pullover, htp://pullover.blogspot.com.

The idea would be to provide in a wide range of background info on the footwear design/development process, production process, sketches, interesting pics from trend forecasting, etc.

I have received many great emails about my blog as a resources for new footwear designers and those interested in the industry. I know when i started in the shoe business 5 years I ago I looked everywhere to get some inside info on the process. So here it (hopefully) is/will be.

Here’s my preliminary T.O.C.-

Intro

Background (making of the site, my personal background and start in footwear design, etc.)

Trend Forecasting- pics from HK, London, NYC, etc.

Case Study of footwear design-
a. line building/schedule
b. design brief
c. concept design
d. preliminary design
e. final design and specs
f. first/second pullover
g. first/second colorway samples
h. final samples
g. technical outsole design and development

Production
a. materials
b. cutting
c. stitching
d. lasting
e. assembly
f. printing and HF
g. qc and packing
h. mold ftys and mold making (RB, TPU)

The Last

Travel (interesting pics from my travels in China, Europe, Trade shows, etc)

Interviews (?) from other shoe designers about the process, factory people, etc.

From the Crates- tons of great samples that never saw the light of day

Glossary- shoe terms and definitions

Anyone have any interest? ideas?

I have found a JIT publishing house online where I can print copies of the book on demand. something like $20 for a 100 page full color hardcover.

I would welcome any suggestions for content, ideas, etc.

Cheers (and hoping I find the time to actually put this together),

R

Do it, that would be nice. I’ve always had an interest in footwear but no clear resources to get into all of the industry specifics, terminology, etc. Would love to have it all available in a book format. All of the relevant info/steps to show how to get a shoe design from your head to the stores. You get my go-ahead.

not sure how relevant it would be but maybe a brief passage about how you found footwear design and what things you did to get your foot in the door?

it sounds like a great idea!!!

so far diggin’ in the crates, glossary, and desgner interviews are my early favorites!!!

i’d definitely buy one!

everything you have on that list sounds great. hope you find the time to do this!

Great idea. Will definitely get one!

^^ what he said.
:slight_smile:

wow, thanks for the support.

now i better get to it sooner rather than later. as it is in progress, ill be sure to post something here for more comments.

any other suggestions, lemme know!

R

would love to see sketches, sketches and more sketches :slight_smile:

I think their would be a lot of love for it. Aside from people that want to get into the field for which it would be a great reference, I think their is enough general interest for it to do well. Would you self publish it?

Ya, I am planning to self publish, using Lulu.com Seems like a pretty good service where you can choose several book sizes, binding types ,etc.

Not as much choice as I would like in the way of details (paper, UV coating, full bleed print, inks, etc), but pretty reasonable and easy “JIT print on demand” so I wouldnt need to inventory 100’s of books.

Just going through 1000’s of photos now trying to get a start on it. The proposition of what I think could easily be 100 pages it just a little daunting!

R

Wow, I definitely would get a copy. Pls keep us posted!

Richard-

we have spoken about this a while back, couple other guys I have spoken with are also interested in being apart of something like this.

I would suggest having both fashion and performance footwear and also showing varied projects from different designers.

email me if you need any assistance- been out of internet for a couple weeks so might take a min to respond.

uno

Mm

I have thought about making the book a collection of sorts of material from different designers, brands, submitted material, etc., but think at this point its a little ambitious. Too difficult to worry about collecting all the info, editing it, etc.

for now, i think im going to keep it as more of a monograph. That way as well, I can use it kind of like a master-portfolio package.

I’ve already totalled up the number of pages for the proposed TOC, and im looking at 110 pages…so still lots to do.

R

Ok,… all the great response and demand has kicked me into action. I’ve started the preliminary layout, below (still certain to change!).

Based on my new estimate of pages and content, it looks like might be somewhere actually around 200+ pages and maybe come in around $40.00 retail for a full color, pefect bound print. given all the unique content and compared to other design book, still pretty reasonable i think.

in the layout, im trying to get a good balance of images and text, with a sort of “reviewed” design (like a first pullover) with handwritten notes in the margins and quick sketches for explanation thrown in.

As well, ive now looking at including a special feature, with an image grab from a video on each bottom corner (not shown in the layout, below) so you can use the book like a flip book to see “in motion” some aspect of production/development. a little bit gimmicky, but kinda cool i think.

whatcha think?

more to come as i get more done…

R

absolutely awesome. keep this up and dont be surprised if you get expressions of interest from colleges all over the place. you could get some serious orders for this thing. well done.
‘directive creator’ is a cool name too.
way to go.

thanks for all the support everyone.

unfotunately the book is on hold for a bit now. i recently cut a tendon in my finger anf now have a splint on one hand and cant use any of those fingers. it should recover 100% in about 10 weeks or so, but in the meantime typing and computer work with one hand is slow and awkward at best (hence no caps in my typing).

ill be sure to post more as soon as things are back on track.

cheers,

r

this is a fabulous idea rkuchinsky. i am very interested in your book and i’m really looking forward to reading it. I wish you a speedy recovery with your injury. Keep us posted on your progress. Cheers

David

you could use dictation software… it’s a very nice way to record a verbal thought process… very organic. i wish you a speedy recovery

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=free+dictation+software

…One of my friends had a similar injury while changing a punctured tyre a few months ago. I know it’s very tough…

My best wishes for a fast and good recovery!

Ciaoooo

unfotunately the book is on hold for a bit now. i recently cut a tendon in my finger anf now have a splint on one hand and cant use any of those fingers. it should recover 100% in about 10 weeks or so, but in the meantime typing and computer work with one hand is slow and awkward at best (hence no caps in my typing).

ouchhh! hopefully you have a speedy recovery!!!

you could use dictation software… it’s a very nice way to record a verbal thought process… very organic.

that is a good idea, my friend set up his tablet pc to accept verbal commands for some common tasks like undo, redo, and text. but it far from bulletproof. might be of help though?