Foot in the door?

Have you managed to get your foot in the door of design?

Since graduating how have you gained design experience?

What advice could you give me?

Having sent out CVs and samples of my portfolio and even set up my own website, there seems to be nobody in London willing to give me a chance…I’m not that bad surely?!

I can offer the essential skills, a fresh face, enthusiasm, passion and committment.

Experience? Well, not until someone is willing to let me in…

What would you recommend I do?

intern. easier to get than fulltime, and gets your foot in the door. best way to get experience.

I just saw your website. im not concerned about your work but about the website itself.

at the beginning you come off maybe a little desperate? get rid of the “i will work for you!” kind of stuff. keep it clean and professional.

I had a problem with the interface when doing the “click me” example. i didnt know how to get back to the main menu. Also the page, or display area gets bigger. try to keep it consistent.

is this flash? if it is, then the text buttons need a bigger “hit” area. its hard to click if you just have the actual letters as the button.

hope this helps. good luck, im on the same boat.

…85% of jobs are filled without posting…it takes about seven hits to get a message across…you have about 10 seconds to express the most important thing about you…choose wisely

My best advice to you is to find opportunities to meet people face to face.

I spent a great deal of time getting out to IDSA events trying to meet people in the industry and make an impression on them. The most effective thing was social events. When you’re standing there with a drink in one hand and some appitizers in the other talking to someone casually, you get a chance to display your personality and your enthusiasm for your career by talking about design. Most often times as a student you can use this as an opportunity to ask professionals for advice about your portfolio without sounding like you are pushing yourself on them.

Also, if there is a certain industry you are trying to break into, then see if you can find some tradeshows where you may run into marketing or design staff. I got my job by contacting my boss before a trade show, goind down to the show, and making an appointment to speak with him. We seemed to hit it off well, I made a good impression, and in the end I got hired. If I had just been sending a piece of paper, he would have probably never even looked at it.

In order to prepare for the show, I sat down and I researched companies which were attending, I contacted the ones that may have use for an industrial designer, and then I went to their showrooms and asked to speak to them. After I had ran out of companies I had made actual appointments with, I simply started walking into showrooms and saying to their staff, “I was wondering if I could speak to someone from your design staff.” After they asked what I wanted I said “I’m a recent graduate of Industrial Design and I was hoping I could learn more about your company and see if you may have any job opportunities.” Suprisingly, this approach worked out great. I spoke to about 40 different companies, and in the end I think I had some potential chance for following up with 4 of them.

Sorry, I got pick on the website too. The good news is that your ID work is on a higher level than your site.

The link issue mentioned earlier is a real big problem – it annoys the user from the get go. Some of the text, like the back button is cut off on my monitor too.

All your graphics and the tram stuff in particular are not anti-aliased correctly. Whatever program you exported the tram project images from did not do a good job and everything, esp. small type is too jagged and it really drags down your work. The rounded box that borders the tram images jumps placement from image to image. You used hyphens when you should have used Em dashes. All this is like fingernails across a chalk board to someone like me who spends his days doing quality control on graphics files.

Frankly, I think you would be better off with a corfolio or a really simple website where someone could just focus on your work.

It is really strange to me that people in ID don’t learn more about graphics and layout in general. I know there is a lot of stuff to learn for ID, but schools are doing a disservice if they do not cover this.

I think the biggest issue is that the skill set required for Industrial Design is now expanding more then the education can cover. I just graduated in the spring of last year, and in my 4 years there my professor made 3 adjustments to the ciriculm to better cover 3d modeling and graphic design skills, but it’s still not enough.

We’re generally accquire proficiency at Photoshop and Illustrator enough to do graphic design, but dealing with issues for print or web are not covered unless their is a specific application to a project where such knowledge is required.

I really don’t know if there even is a way to integrate enough knowledge into a program to make us prepared either. I think the best possible scenario for design education would almost be to make it a 5 year program and incorporate more advanced knowledge of skill sets in multimedia.

I didn’t learn anything about graphic design in my ID studies, wish I did. There are so many levels of perception and understanding, it’s amazing.

Should almost be a first year foundation thing, as there are a lot of parallels.

This is not to downplay the work of graphic designers in any way- but merely to suggest that some of the basics of layout and type could go a long way in a foundation class for ID students.