Food & Ethnicity

Food & Ethnicity

In big cities like New York, the relationship between food and ethnicities are becoming pretty much unclear
It is common to see non-Asians are having Chinese food for lunch with chopsticks, Asians having Gyros
Also, everyday new types of fusion restaurants are openings all around the city such as Korean + Japanese, French + Sushi
Within all those rapid changes, the design of the restaurants (façade, interior, menu…) is becoming more and more general rather than showing its specific ethnicity of their food.

My questions are

Do you think this kind of globalization of the food will continue and get faster in the future?
Is the disconnection between the people and the food of their own ethnicity going to affect people? How?
What kind of design element or system can be added to fill the gap between people and the food?

Please share your opinions with me.
Any kind of answers (even out of the topic) are welcomed.

as for New York, I am going to share a statement my friend made the other day:

“One way or another, we all eat Mexican food.”

Chinese food in the US isn’t Chinese, but that’s another topic.

As for me, growing up in the US with two very British parents, we had British food all the time. Since it was never my favorite (I prefer tacos and pho) I’m unlikely to pass it down to my kids. Unless I marry a British girl; also unlikely.

The more we mix up our gene pool, the less defined and specific cultures we’ll have. Hopefully we’ll pick and choose the best from each culture. British breakfast, Vietnamese lunch, Mexican dinner, and French dessert hear we come.

There is so much truth to that statement…

To paraphrase Anthony Bourdain,
“The best sushi chefs in this country are most likely Mexican or Latin American, the same could be said for the best French chefs.”

It’s funny you posted this topic since I’m white guy raised in Maine with a very British lineage but I just bought nan and masala seasoning yesterday.

I’m also part of the zebra club (my girlfriend is black) which may have some bearing on my lack of cultural loyalty.

So true…

Anthony Bourdain,

Great chef, maybe greater at writing… . .

Hopefully we’ll pick and choose the best from each culture. British breakfast, Vietnamese lunch, Mexican dinner, and French dessert hear we come.

Chris, I worked in the restaurant business while in school; if you want an inside view that is true to the world, you should read Bourdain’s books, especially:

Kitchen Confidential / IBSN: 0-06093491-3 / HarperCollins Publishers / NY, NY.

A Cooks Tour / ISBN: 0-06-001278-1 / HarperCollins Publishers / NY, NY.

A Cooks Tour is especially relevant to this thread.

*uck yeah, chilli carbonara sushi burger.

yeah baby … . ‘n’ fried cabbage, with corn salad, and scrapple!!!

Hey, don’t talk bad about scrapple!

I have worked in the culinary buisness since i was 17 in 9 countries, have a bachelors in Culinary arts and sommelerie.
Though I think Bourdain and his books are very entertaining, you don’t get much info out of them.
It’s a little too much in my opinion. A tad silly.

I would recommend Heat by Bill Buford and of course Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan. By the way, check out Pollan’s website, he has archived all his essays and articles. Great resource.

BAD about scrapple… . .!!! I’m a Berks County Pennsylvania Dutch descendant mein Freund. We’re talkin’ food o’th’GODS!

Fried up, with some of that gebratene Kraut, a little chunk of Krümel-Kuchen afterwards. Oh, Mommy. … …

But you either love it, or hate it. Which is okay, it leaves more for the rest of us.

Okay, I thought you were being sarcastic. I know some people put scrapple in the same category with spam. It’s hard enough finding anyone outside of the mid-atlantic region or the south that even knows what it is.

In my hometown, Vancouver, almost everybody knows how to use chopsticks, and not just because many Asians live there but because good, inexpensive restaurants are everywhere. Within 15 minutes drive of downtown you have huge Chinese dim sum palaces, 24 hour pho dives, Mongolian all-you-can-eat, Indian buffet, Ethiopian, Brazilian, Mexican (and not Cali-Mex), Korean, sushi, ramen houses, falafel take-out. One does not have to go to Chinatown or Little India. In fact, some of the best ethnic restaurants are not located in the associated neighbourhood. Then there are at least a handful of breakfast diners, French, west coast fusion, seafood, desserts and even the place where you can get a Happy Meal. Just about every restaurant has a decent vegetarian section and most will now make changes for allergies and dietary requirements. Most of the hotels have had to up their play just to stay in the game.

The various star chefs are metaphorically just icing on Vancouver’s culinary cake.

Since I left, I’ve lost 20 lbs.
:)ensen.