Folio Feedback: Winter 2010 internship hunt

http://www.coroflot.com/cameronielsen (cameronnielsen.com hasn’t been updated yet)

I’m going to begin applying for Winter 2010 internships on Monday. Some content updates since last time, but mostly changed the look a little. I haven’t finished the picture frame prototypes yet, but when I do the final rendering shot will be a photograph that better illustrates the concept.

I’m interested in getting the firm experience before I graduate, as I’ve had a taste of corporate already. I’m curious about consultancies who do Med-Tech stuff, but I’d also be happy doing consumer products, toy, softgoods, etc.

Thank you in advance.

I have looked at this before, and I think it looks great. It really shows how you think and there is some solid work in there. Sorry I do not have too many negative comments other than I really don’t understand the Refresh project. You say it was an internship project, but what is it that you did on the project. Did you design it or just do the CAD drawings? Also I really like the Bird nest project, but it does not seem like a very strong portfolio piece. I think it is a really cool idea, and would be an awesome product, but what is it really showing your skills in your portfolio. I strongly feel that there has to be better more solid work than this piece that you have done.

Over all you really look like you have some skills and I do not think you will have a problem finding an internship.

Thanks PackageID.

For the Refresh product, I did everything - design concept, modeling, photoshop renderings for Wal-Mart/Target, etc.

The Bird’s Nest was just an exercise in model ideation and adapting my process to suit a particular brief. Nothing more than that really. Eventually I’ll either redo the rendering and make the whole project just one page, or axe it.

Skota is really hard to read from a color standpoint. the front page looks like it has an art accent but my eyes are having trouble picking it up.

Thanks Alerick. I’ll probably change the color on that to account for monitor variances.

Looks good Cameron, but check the text for the final page (Branding). You’ve repeated yourself a bit there.

Ahh, thanks for letting me know Chris.

Looks pretty good. I just skimmed through it quickly as a potential employer might and below are my few comments-

1. it starts with a blank (grey background only) and the play button. I was waiting for it to load until I realized I need to click the button. might be better if it could start with the title page.

2. don’t really like the project title pages. With only the logo and some small image it doesn’t communicate much. looking at each project i don’t really understand what it is until after a few pages… more intro needed. Tweak for example isn’t clear that it is a sort of picture frame until 3 pages in. confusing. would be better to have the first page of the project have more info on the background of the project with some text, some other images, etc. and that green baby looks really scary!

3. might want to add your name/details to the bottom/top of each page, so that if someone prints off one image they know where it came from.

4. speaking of printing, might also be good to have a link to downloadable PDF. printing this off one page per screen with the complications of printing from flash web, make it difficult if someone wants to file it or show it to someone as a hardcopy.

other than that, pretty solid.

R

Thanks Richard.

It’s true that the autoviewer interface isn’t the best - I’m going to change the setup, hopefully with a downloadable pdf, as soon as I get far enough along on my studio project.

I’ll probably redo my portfolio again if I finish my studio project early. Hopefully it won’t be too late. I got a few responses when I emailed some good firms a month ago, and I want an excuse to email them back. I’m just waiting to finish my project so I can include some new work in the email.

Thanks again.

Just some quick comments.

You need more headers/ subheads, quick descriptors that catch the eye than just the small body text. I think you should try to get your sketches to jump out more, perhaps more contrast. You can also make them much bigger, not all, just a few key ones that really convey your message.

Good luck!

Just a quick question - would this be a portfolio that you would print out and take along to an interview? Or have you got a longer, more in depth folio for that?

curious if you are looking to relocate for an internship

wow, watch out students! LG is on the hunt!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Wow, I really wish I would have received email notification of that post a few months ago! I wonder what happened.

Hopefully it leads to a future opportunity, at least. I’m still looking for Late Fall and/or Winter…

Overall good stuff… but I hate when I have to find the next button. I think the project should click into a thumbnail page or a next image button should be super obvi.

That baby in the Piggyback monitor thing looks scared!

Thanks Yo.

I’ve changed the slideshow format a little so the prev/next links are stationary (although still too small - I’ll fix that as soon as I can figure out how).

The baby shot will be changed in my next folio refresh. I’m vacuum forming prototypes of my picture frame right now, so I’ll probably redo the portfolio when that’s done.

I sent my stuff to your first design employer a few days ago and mentioned that I found out about them through your work. They liked my stuff, but only take local interns apparently =(.

http://www.coroflot.com/cameronielsen (cameronnielsen.com hasn’t been updated yet)

I’m going to begin applying for Winter 2010 internships on Monday. Some content updates since last time, but mostly changed the look a little. I haven’t finished the picture frame prototypes yet, but when I do the final rendering shot will be a photograph that better illustrates the concept.

I’m interested in getting the firm experience before I graduate, as I’ve had a taste of corporate already. I’m curious about consultancies who do Med-Tech stuff, but I’d also be happy doing consumer products, toy, softgoods, etc.

Thank you in advance.