Flamingo

I primarily learned to model/render with ashlar vellum (cobalt) and it was easy to render my models. I have been teaching myself rhino and now am getting into flamingo as well.
I seem to be having a tough time rendering with flamingo. I work mainly with metals/chrome and glass/plastics. I am having a tough time with getting my models to look photorealistic. Im not sure if this has to do with using certain lighting or if it is my placement of lights or maybe my render settings. Can anyone give a guideline for this? Does anyone have a good tutorial link or book on this that you can point me too? Im getting frustrated and I am about to lose a mouse.

I’ve had the same problems with Flamongo. It’s simply not a great rendering package. I use it excluselively for my 3D rendering besause I can’t afford anything else and that it’s integrated with Rhino.

I’ve found that with Flamingo (as with others), the fewer light sources, the better. Also, if you haven’t tried it already, try customizing the metallic paints in the “automotive” library for a better/richer metal look. They have a number of layers that you can tweak to get a lot of different effects. As far as glass, I usually use their “transparent plastic” shaders instead and just tweak those, but I’ve never gotten a great glass look period.

Also, I usually go back and tweak things a bit in Photoshop (blur for depth of field, etc.).

Rhinos next gen will have Brazil 3D compatability, which I can’t WAIT for… and I know I’m not alone.

Yeah i have found that customizing the plastics and substituting them for glass is the best way as well (thats why I mentioned plastics in my first post) I will have to check out the automotive metals.

From the pictures on the flamingo site, it does seem possible to get some very nice photo results though. Thats why I feel like i am missing something.

-Mcow, some of your models have some nice results…do u use flamingo at all?

Those are some great looking images. Did you do any retouching in PS? Any insights on how you set those up?

A LOT of that stuff isnt flamingo rendering. Seems all the ones that catch my eye are something other than flamingo. these are flamingoz… http://gallery.mcneel.com/?language=en&g=36

Gij de Zwart has a tutorial called Studio Quality Rendering in which he shows that Flamingo is very capable.

:)ensen
http://news2.mcneel.com/scripts/dnewsweb.exe/scrnshot.jpg?cmd=article&group=rhino&item=210901&part=2&utag=

so turn ambiant light strength from 1% to 0%???

yeah but you have to pay for that

The CD comes with fully modelled objects and lighting environments that you can study. It was well worth 10X the $79 it cost me.

:)ensen.

so you have the video.

How are your rendering skillz now? Would you post something? I would def. buy the video if I could render like the examples on the flamingo site.

Try experimenting with background images and the alpha channel filter as well as the depth of field. I find that having some sort of reflection always makes metal look better.

Most of my work is completely unsexy - name badge printing systems. But I see my stuff on all the mall rats and in the hotels and banks so it ain’t that bad.

Sadly much of it is either proprietary or cannot be shown due to agreements with customers. As an example, we did some proposals for a big brown transport company and I can’t show those because they are an existing customer. Same with the recent department store takeover. The re-branding requires new uniforms and thus… name badges.

Because most of the work will never be seen outside meeting rooms, I’ve borrowed the 3D environments from the tutorial and just placed my own objects in them. It’s perfect for “computer-simulated” proposals that customers like to believe is ultra-high-tech. Quick and effective.

Anyway, I can say that because of the models, the tutorial is worth 10X the purchase price. If you are freelance, it will a business expense on your next tax form. If you are at a design firm, they should buy it just for educational purposes and because it will increase your productivity.

If you really can’t afford, check some of the tuts on this page:

And look at the Flamingo newsgroup archives… lots of tidbits there.

The Flamingo manual itself has one great section on rendering by Gijs. That really helped me understand some settings better.

My manual was borrowed and never returned.

Thanks for the idea, those paints have worked great!