Flame - BS Award for triathlon bike handlebars???

oh the wonders of cad, rino, etc…beautiful picutes of unworkable designer thingies.

You can find more info on the project here:
http://davebags.com/splitstream

and some good discussions here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Transforming_aerobar_P1882714/

and here:

-DaveB

Interesting thread on Slowtwitch. The people posting on Slowtwitch are much more open to exploring ideas, than I thought. Thinking about it more, triathletes are prone to trying new technologies - Softride beam bikes, hubless front wheels (the rider lasted only 10 miles on the Kona coast I think), bottles behind the rider…

I will eat a portion of crow and apologize for making a rush judgement of the designer, especially in the product conception and prototyping phase. :blush:

Slowtwitch triathlete postings aside, I still think its a solution in search of a problem, as the hand switch, balance and stability seem easier with the two sets of bars. Aerodynamic claims are impossible to make without time in a wind tunnel. And it would be interesting to see a video where the bars shift while the rider is leaned over in a downhill, instead of riding down a straight road.

Wow, love the video! I’m sold!

If/When it is prototyped, or produced, I would say there cannot be any “play” in the handle bars. I’m probably characterized as a casual rider, but my handlebars have been working loose lately and it drives me up a wall! I want those to be rock solid.

I hereby eat my words. Nice video, dave! Great to see a prototype in action.

This has nothing to do with your design, but I’m still puzzled at the lack of innovation in geometry as it affects handling. If the bike is too unstable to use the brakes or corner while on the aerobars, it seems the solution is not an alternate hand position, but changing the head angle and fork offset to increase stability, no?

At the end of the day, this design is just another flavor of bar on the market (IF IT GETS to MARKET).

How is this product different?? Bottom line, it will need some data to verify the product is more aero than an alternative. Show me the wind tunnel numbers.

It would not take $30 K to verify a shape is more aero that competitor B over a typical Racing distance - Ironman for example.

Ouch. Dang. I officially eat my words.

Congrats to you Dave, I’m glad to see you actually made a working prototype. I still remain skeptical, but it does look very innovative. I hope the Tri competition governing body approves this for use.

Here’s the deal with Tri-Geeks… they’ll spend their money on any gimmick that might make them either go faster, or get through transitions faster. Make this puppy out of carbon, paint it to match some Cervelo’s, and you’ve got yourself a winner.

This has nothing to do with your design, but I’m still puzzled at the lack of innovation in geometry as it affects handling. If the bike is too unstable to use the brakes or corner while on the aerobars, it seems the solution is not an alternate hand position, but changing the head angle and fork offset to increase stability, no?

Of course this would work, but do a bit of background research on tri/TT bikes and you’ll find they’re pushed forward for good reason. You want to be using all the same muscles for each event, and if you have a laid back seat tube, your legs are in front of you, rather than up and down. This makes your transition to run very uncomfortable for the first few miles, until your legs get back to where they need to be.