First photoshop render

Hey there,

i just made my first rendering experience with photoshop and i would like to get some feedback and somet tips.

i would like to know how to get better transitions and how to make it look more realistic. should i put more reflections and shadows on it?

anyway i´m happy about every feedback i get

have a nice day

Marc

tried to make some improvements

good start. i would recommend that you select entire shapes and fill with a solid color. then you can dodge and burn to add highlights and shadows. Bump up your contrast, darks should be darker and the lights lighter. Another beauty of photoshop is that you can use actual textures to really pop realism into the render.

Everyone does things a little different but the way i render in photoshop is:

1. rough sketch on paper
  2. Redraw in illustrator cleaning up the drawing
  3. bring that line art to photoshop and fill shapes with solid color or texture (try to keep parts on seperate layers)
  4. dodge and burn parts / play with photoshops built in effects (there are a lot that will do work for you ie. bevel/emboss)
  5. Adjust contrast levels

This is a basic work flow for photoshop but it should be enough to get you going. the most important thing is to play around with the tools and look over other peoples shoulders to see their tricks. with every render you do try to add a new trick, and before you know it you will be doing photorealistic renders.

PS: YO has a really nice photoshop tutorial somewhere around here that is def worth checking out

Hey Marc,

What version of PS are you using?

hmm you mean selecting the areas with the polygon lasso tool?
i dont know but always when i tried it, i had big problems with round forms… so when i made the rendering i choosed for large and soft brushes and then i erased the rest… (btw i only work with a mouse so it is difficult to redraw it good in illustrator :/)

i´ll try to make the contrast a little higher specially for the shadows… thanks for that
i also thought that they are a little bit to low but i wasnt sure.

are there any good sides for textures?
i used some texture for the grey part of the handle but the opacity is pretty low so you cant see it right… tried to give it a “soft” look.

@ benny : i´m using photoshop cs 3

thank you for the tips and advices now i´m going to sketch outside in the sun because it is finally more then 15 degrees in germany :smiley:

You have all of the control that you need, with a mouse, to do a clean line drawing in illustrator. I almost always use my mouse for illustrator. use the pen tool to draw your curves and adjust anchor points. this will give you better precision than freehanding with a brush.

for textures i either bust out google or my camera. At work ill scan the actual mesh i want to use. (footwear)

remember start simple dont try to conquer everything on your next render.

okay thats pretty true i totally forgot the pen tool !

One thing that stikes me is that there doesn’t appear to be a definite light source. There is not enough darks and lights to show this.

Very commonly, the main illumination in a skecthed object comes from the top left or right… think about how the line weight would be on the top edges of an object (thin) and on the bottom edges (thick and dark). Also think about how the shadows would play along the forms you’re showing… a cylinder would have a gradiated shadow as the side rolls into the bottom surface… lighter to darker. Unless the drill is floating in the air, there would probably be a subtle shadow on the ground, which is likely a horizontal surface that matches with the flat bottom of the power pack. On details that protrude from the main form, there would be a lighter top edge and a darker bottom edge.

There is more to proper shadows, but look a real drill and compare it to your drawing… look at the lights and darks… it will add more

You need your linework to ‘pop’ more. Tweak your linework from the scan using levels then I would suggest putting your linework on the topmost layer and assigning the blending mode to ‘mulitiply’.