First online portfolio, would appreciate your feedback!

Hi all,

The first time I’m sharing my work here on coroflot, as well having my own portfolio website.

I would appreciate it if you guys could have a look at them and share your thoughts (both on the work itself as the website). My personal website is basically a hacked blogspot site, so please bear in mind that I can’t change too much with respect to site structure and all. Also I will be adding more hand sketches as I go.

Looking very much forward what you think. Be as honest as you want to be!

Thanks

Just updated my work on the Coroflot page.

Hope to hear your thoughts…

hey man your work is really good and very thoughtful, especially on the interaction of the product. they all have a very “comfortable” design; in that, it feels inviting and you want to play around with whatever it is.

for your portfolio, though, i don’t think i would go the “blogger” style for a professional portfolio. while it’s clean and simple it is a bit annoying to scroll down through projects. from what i have gathered, the speed at which people can go through your portfolio is huge. if you need help with html coding i am more than happy to help: i had a super crash course of it in a couple of days and was able to put my website up.

anyway overall its great stuff, i just think a legitimate, professional website would help you out that much more

just wanted to counter that I completely disagree with douglasthew’s blog / scroll hating. It’s comfortable, intuitive and pleasant to scroll through a portfolio (google “one page portfolios”) If your portfolio is split across pages that I have to clicky click through, no. I looked at a few pages on your coroflot, then I went to your blog and looked at everything in the same amount of time. Which format was more of a success?

Listen, we’re industrial designers, not web designers. Deliver the content in the best way possible that works on the most platforms and allows me to look at your work at MY pace, in the least amount of time necessary. You did this, thanks.

Otherwise, nice work / presentation. I’m a bit suspicious of your master’s thesis ergonomics (a 90 degree edge against my ear?) but it’s presented well.

(and douglasthew, I totally understand your opinion and it is a valid one. It’s up to Tom to decide if his blog format presents his work and himself with the appropriate level of professionalism. I think it does.)

Thanks a lot for your comments guys, much appreciated!

hey man your work is really good and very thoughtful, especially on the interaction of the product. they all have a very “comfortable” design; in that, it feels inviting and you want to play around with whatever it is.

Thanks, this is what I try to achieve in all my projects: easy to use/inviting and good looking at the same time.

for your portfolio, though, i don’t think i would go the “blogger” style for a professional portfolio. while it’s clean and simple it is a bit annoying to scroll down through projects. from what i have gathered, the speed at which people can go through your portfolio is huge. if you need help with html coding i am more than happy to help: i had a super crash course of it in a couple of days and was able to put my website up.

just wanted to counter that I completely disagree with douglasthew’s blog / scroll hating. It’s comfortable, intuitive and pleasant to scroll through a portfolio (google “one page portfolios”) If your portfolio is split across pages that I have to clicky click through, no. I looked at a few pages on your coroflot, then I went to your blog and looked at everything in the same amount of time. Which format was more of a success?

The thing is that I don’t have the skills (yet) to make my own website design and navigation, exactly like I have in mind. The Blogger layout is therefore more or less an easy and fast way to get my work out there without having to put a lot of effort in learning Dreamweaver for example. Like bennybtl mentions, we’re not web designers, and above all I guess it’s a personal preference of scrolling vs. a coroflot approach. Personally I don’t find the scrolling annoying, all projects are on 1 page BUT without an overview on top of the page. Anyway, for now I will keep the Blogger website like it is but as I go and learn dreamweaver I will probably change it though. By the way, thanks douglasthew for offering your help with html coding. I will get in touch when I have some time to do that!

Otherwise, nice work / presentation. I’m a bit suspicious of your master’s thesis ergonomics (a 90 degree edge against my ear?) but it’s presented well.

Perhaps you’re right about the phone ergonomics like you mentioned. For me personally I didn’t have much problems with the 90 degree edge against my ear when I did the final prototype. I was “using it” for some weeks (funny when the prototype actually didn’t work!) to see how it would work in every day use (e.g. talking, writing sms/grip, having it in my pocket etc.). I actually don’t hold my phone completely to my ear, perhaps that’s why…

Again thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Tom

What are your thoughts on showing the design process in my portfolio?

I don’t want to only have the shiny perfect hero and money shots, but also show the process from start to finish. For most of the projects I still have to add some sketches/prototyping pages however.

Thanks!

Your process is presented fairly well. I would suggest adding a wider variety of concepts through your sketching. Your sketches only show your final design and doesn’t demonstrate how you got there. Also for the coffee table you did I would add what materials you would use as this is very important with furniture. The shape you have chosen for it is kind of scary (structurally it looks like it would break fairly easily, unless the materials used were capable of holding that shape.) To me the shape just doesn’t make sense.

Pretty good job overall! Good luck!

benny: don’t worry man i totally see your point and it’s a good and true point. you are right it is nice that you don’t have to “navigate” through a series of pages to go through loading time; but, that’s the advantage of using html and css, is that it cuts down the loading time significantly.

tally-ho: i am more than happy to help give you advice, tutorials, or even show you my html. most of what i did was make the layout in illustrator-of course photoshop works just as well-and make selections around the elements i wanted, copy and pasted those onto their own document and saved them both as their own file and as a .gif. then it was as easy as adding them into the page with HTML and where and the style with CSS. look at my site and you will see all of the elements there are their own .gif. please please please message me if you want help to make your own. BUT, as benny said, the blog works and i agree, if that is what you want.

What are your thoughts on showing the design process in my portfolio?

I don’t want to only have the shiny perfect hero and money shots, but also show the process from start to finish. For most of the projects I still have to add some sketches/prototyping pages however.

Thanks!

well there are different approaches to this and as one of my old teachers said “many ways to skin a cat.”
I for one like to explain my products and concepts on my website but do not show much process as I feel that it completely clutters everything and takes focus from the solution.
Process looks unfinished because it is unfinished, it is process. We designers know this and can identify it as such. And we find it highly enjoyable.
However, I use my site for clients as well and this is why I try to keep it streamlined and crisp. All about communicating clever solutions quickly.

However, I do have an extensive portfolio with process to back up my work that is online which I show in interviews and mail to prospective employers. For me though, it’s not necessary to have it on the site.

Your process is presented fairly well. I would suggest adding a wider variety of concepts through your sketching. Your sketches only show your final design and doesn’t demonstrate how you got there.

Absolutely spot on, it’s crucial to also show all explored concepts which lead to the final design. At the moment I’m working on this, hope to be ready soon.

Also for the coffee table you did I would add what materials you would use as this is very important with furniture. The shape you have chosen for it is kind of scary (structurally it looks like it would break fairly easily, unless the materials used were capable of holding that shape.) To me the shape just doesn’t make sense.

Yap, this project is still not were it should be. Basically I had the idea for the overall shape and wanted to see how it would look in a living room setting. The shape is actually inspired by a traditional Mexican symbol, so in that sense it is recognizable as such. Of course I still have to explore materials and structure so that the free floating idea will hold up. Last night I had some ideas, so I will further elaborate on this. Thanks for your comments!

well there are different approaches to this and as one of my old teachers said “many ways to skin a cat.”
I for one like to explain my products and concepts on my website but do not show much process as I feel that it completely clutters everything and takes focus from the solution.
Process looks unfinished because it is unfinished, it is process. We designers know this and can identify it as such. And we find it highly enjoyable.
However, I use my site for clients as well and this is why I try to keep it streamlined and crisp. All about communicating clever solutions quickly.

However, I do have an extensive portfolio with process to back up my work that is online which I show in interviews and mail to prospective employers. For me though, it’s not necessary to have it on the site.

That’s an interesting point you raise. I was actually thinking about that the other day: what to show online (for clients) and what to show for example in a job interview in a full (paper) portfolio. Your approach makes sense to me, as clients usually tend to focus on the end result whereas prospective employers obviously want to also see the process how you got to the end result. For me at the moment I tried to not only show the end result on my personal website, but also show a bit of the process. Of course, my paper portfolio includes the complete process in more detail. Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts, it made me realize the importance of what to show online and during an interview.

Thank you guys, this is just the kind of feedback I was looking for! I will improve on my work and will post new work when ready.