first attempt as a freelance designer....how??

sorry if you have already replied to such questions but i have not found any similar although i did serached.

I visited an exhibition about lightning and there was a big company that produces and develops products here in greece (very rare… :cry: ). Anyway, the vice president told me that he is open to new ideas and contact him to show present some ideas. The question are :

1.Should i present ready to produce work or concepts? :confused:
2.how can i protect my royalties?

my father is lawyer but i do not bother to ask him once design for him is not a proper job… :cry: just fooling around…

thanks

I’m really not sure the right approach here, I hope someone will have some good advice for you.

…but the way I would play would be to draw up some really nice conceptual thinking and lay it out on a few boards. Then present it back to your contact as “This is the type of work I could be doing for you if we signed a contract” From there you could work out the details. Are you going to get a straight hourly rate and no royalty, a flat fee rate with no royalty, are you going to work off of 100% royalty (Doesn’t usually work out) or take a reduced up front rate for a smaller royalty.

yo, thank you for your advice. Sounds reasonable.

Something else i am thinking about is to receive as payment percentage of the total sales but i do not know how many pieces he sels…so it is risky :confused: .

It might be worth your while to take a look at some books on liscensing inventions, specifically the portions about negotiating contracts.

How to License Your Million Dollar Idea, despite its cheesy name, is a pretty decent instruction manual:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471204013/idfuel-20

The Inventor’s Bible: How to Market and License Your Brilliant Ideas, is also pretty good:

Unfortunately, most books focus on intellectual property that can be protected with patents, whereas I assume your designs will probably be non-patented. If anyone knows of books on liscensing design-type innovations, I’d love to hear about them.

One thing to keep in mind is, if you do decided on a compensation structure which is based primarily on royalties, you should try to work a minimum royalty, or minimum production amount, so that your design doesn’t get bought, and then shelved later, without you earning any money. Any book on liscensing an invention will cover these question much better than I can.

Good luck, and let us know how things turn out.

dmuren thanx,
about the last part of your post it is something i was thinking about and thanx for mentioning too. Your proposal to get relevant books is welcomed but once i live in greece i do not know if they are relevant to the greek reality… :confused: .

once i do not have developed relevant projects and i have to work on some now you will hear my news later… :sunglasses: thanx

ALEXANDROS, I BELIEVE IT DEPENDS ON WHAT THE CLIENT WANTS AND WHAT YOU AGREE WITH THEM. EVERY COMPANY HAS AN IMAGE TO SUSTAIN WHICH MEANS THAT THE DESIGN PROCESS OFTEN START FROM THAT IMAGE. THE TRAP WHEN PRESENTING THE CLIENT WITH “HERE’S ONE I MADE EARLIER” IDEAS, IS THAT THEIR CRITERIA AND PRODUCTION METHODS ARE NOT INCORPORATED IN THE DESIGN.

ABOUT ROYALTIES, CONTACT OBI IN GREECE AND STUDY THE MATERIAL THEY GIVE YOU. THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT WAYS OF PROTECTING YOUR WORK. SEND ME A MESSAGE eolos@hol.gr AND I WILL HELP YOU AS MUCH AS I CAN WITH ADVICE.

I visited an exhibition about lightning and there was a big company that produces and develops products here in greece (very rare… :cry: ). Anyway, the vice president told me that he is open to new ideas and contact him to show present some ideas. The question are :

1.Should i present ready to produce work or concepts? :confused:
2.how can i protect my royalties?

my father is lawyer but i do not bother to ask him once design for him is not a proper job… :cry: just fooling around…

thanks[/quote]