Fire and Wood

My wife is possessed with the notion of us getting a tattoos.

Like a lot of couples, we have a song that relates to us; in part it tells of s relationship as that of fire to wood; one consumed by the other, and nothing without each other.

Do these translate as fire and wood?

Thanks

Hi. I don’t know anything about Chinese characters since I’m not Chinese. BUT having a tattoo I will say this…make sure YOU want it.

As a designer, I decided to come up with an original design…much more meaningful to me. I think its a sweet notion, the fire and wood thing… however i do sort of see the whole chinese character thing as a fad (i’m not trying to be mean). This is going to be on you forever and fads fade quickly when measured against the rest of your life.

There was this girl classmate that had a Chinese character that was supposed to mean something, but it was the wrong one. I told her about it. I don’t think I should have.

i do sort of see the whole chinese character thing as a fad

The whole tattoo thing’s a fad now, isn’t it?

This is going to be on you forever

I agree with you eG, but try to tell my wife that; she’s dyin’ for the touch. And with a maiden name of Welsh she’s as Irish as they come, so I’m not sure why she isn’t attracted to Celtic art. At least that would be somewhat “ancestral.”

… and 'cow’s laughing at the thought that these two are really going to have the words “train-station” tattooed onto their ankles …[/i]

As for the tattoo thing being a fad as well, I totally agree with you. However I’ve wanted one since I was 10, not because others thought it was cool…but because I think its a beautiful way to decorate your body. Even from a young age I’ve always loved the design of things, in whatever form they take.

As for the fire/wood tattoo, did you think of other ways the concept could be represented? There are so many millions of ways to expressing things, countless traditions of art you can draw from. Just a thought.

thought you might enjoy the words eG,

Joan of Arc

Now the flames they followed
Joan of Arc
As she came riding through the dark;
No moon to keep her armour bright,
And no man to get her through this dark, this very smoky night.

She said, “I’m tired of the war,
I want the kind of work I had before,
With a wedding dress, something white
To wear upon swollen appetite.”

Well I’m glad to … to hear you talk this way,
You see I’ve watched you riding almost every single day
And there’s something in me just yearns to win
Such a very cold and such a very lonesome heroine.

“Well then, who are you?” she sternly spoke
To the one beneath the smoke.
“Why, I’m…, I’m fire,” he replied,
“And I love your solitude, oh how I love your sense of pride.”

“Well then fire, make your body cold,
I’m gonna give you mine to hold,”
Saying this she climbed inside
To be his one, to be his only bride.

It was deep into his fiery heart
He took the dust of our Joan of Arc,
And high above all of these assembled wedding guests
He hung the ashes of her very lovely wedding dress.

It was deep, deep into his fiery heart
He took the dust of our precious Joan of Arc,
Then she clearly, she clearly understood
If…, if he was fire … oh, she must be wood.

I saw her wince, I saw her cry,
Saw the glory in her eye.
Myself I long…, I long for love and light,
But must it come so cruel, and must it…, must it be so very bright?

Cohen Live
Leonard Cohen in Concert, 1994

I think its true that tattoos are a fad, but I don’t think that it should effect your decision as to whether or not you should get one. To decide not to do something you want to do just because everbody else is doing it is even worse than doing something you don’t want to do just because everyone else is doing it. (IMO) We are all unique, just like everyone else.
If it is something that has meaning to you, I think that it is good to do it.
As for the gravity of the tattoo decision, I think people make too big a deal out of how " permanent" they are. I have quite a few, and I probably should have given them more thought, but at the same time they grow on you the longer you have them (kinda become part of you), and if it is really something atrocious (eg. ex-wife’s name(or ex-husband), skulls and daggers, looney-toons, etc) you can always have them removed, it doesn’t hurt/cost/take-up-time/scar-up much more than having the ink done (ruby laser good / dermabrasion bad).
If being married has become a part of who you are emotionally, might be fitting that a symbol of it become a part of who you are physically.
As for the translation, you could try:

http://ets6.freetranslation.com/

Or I usually just go to the language department at school.

Just my opinions on the matter,
Eric

Ps: beautiful poem.

Where abouts on your body are you getting ‘wood’ tatted?

Hello,

I think maybe you should design your own symbols,characters,or icons representing fire and wood… something that you could both work on and come up with. It would be something more meaningful to you, if it was something the two of you designed… if nothing else…talk to the tattoo artist.

As for the gravity of the tattoo decision, I think people make too big a deal out of how " permanent" they are. I have quite a few, and I probably should have given them more thought, but at the same time they grow on you the longer you have them (kinda become part of you), and if it is really something atrocious (eg. ex-wife’s name(or ex-husband), skulls and daggers, looney-toons, etc) you can always have them removed, it doesn’t hurt/cost/take-up-time/scar-up much more than having the ink done (ruby laser good / dermabrasion bad).

Chowmander - I totally disagree with this. Tattoos ARE permanent markings (henna is not permanent) and yes while they can be removed (not fade away like henna), why not take the time to actually think about what you want (you yourself pointed out you should have given yours more thought) and if its for you and avoid cost/time/pain in the future? To do otherwise seems utterly irresponsible to me.

As for the tattoo becoming a part of you, I agree it does. However I think it does this if you have put thought into what you want. I have heard many stories from people (who i have met/know, not that i have heard or read about in th media) who get inked and regret it shortly afterward. Also you have to consider factors such as time (sagging of skin, what if you put on weight, esp if you are female since pregnancy reeks havoc on your body, location if you have a specific type of job you may need to cover it up).

The above post was by me. Forgot to put in a username.

“Original Guest” here,

thanks for all the caring. I/we have been giving some more thought to this. In fact I’ve been working on a unique design; a continuous repetitive motif that would work as an arm or ankle band.

Kind of hard to describe but basically an interlacing flame/tree/flame/tree design. Unfortunately the flame/fire designs I keep coming up with look like “monster garage stuff”; essentially hotrod flames and it isn’t cutting it … at all.

A “tree-of-life” celtic image is interesting to us; the leaves at the top of the tree with the roots at the bottom. Maybe the roots at the bottom could morph into the flames … with a narrow band above and below to contain it.

This image from thedrawingroom.biz is attractive to me because it is momochromatic and so linear; but I think it would have to revised to be more symmetric to work with flames.

Not being familiar with skin as a medium, how fine of a line can an artist maintain before the ink starts to “bleed” (no pun intended). Not that I want to become tatooist, just wondering.

my tats are words-and the letters are well drawn and have thin curves on some parts (old english-black letter). I think you can go pretty thin. I would say a couple milimeters. Also alot depends on the artist. some artists specialize in words/typograhy and others on image based tats. Go to the shops and talk with them.

I am not sure about a flame at the bottom of the tree then it kind of looks like your tree is burning/ your marriage is up in flames-so to speak. but maybe works leaves life on top or tree n well the opposite is fire and death-kind of a life and death tat-than fire wood and fire…

a band on the upper arm-just to let you know-the inside of the arm is supposed to hurt–more sensitive. you’ll be ok tho

submit pics after its done-would like to see. also is it going to be in color? i only have black, i couldn’t get color just wouldn’t last with me-i would look at it and want to change the color after awhile…

also–taking care of it after wards is very important-make sure you follow the directions they give you-you dont want the ink to come up-and get all faded…

uno-

marriage is up in flames-so to speak

hmmmmmmmmm… . … . may be we be rethinkin’ this one…

Guest-

whats going on with the tats??