Finding an ID job in Sweden!?!

What is the process on finding an industrial job in Stockholm? I’ve been trying to learn swedish through SFI and I’m registered in Arbetsformedlingen. But it just seems that finding a job as a foreigner is a really slow process. All the other Americans I have met are frustrated.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks,
DB

I would say that it is almost impossible to acquire an ID position through arbetsformedlingen, simple because not many ID positions is filled through them. I think you will have a greater luck by contacting the firms you are interested in directly.

Finding a job in a foreign country is hard to do. Just as they do in the States, I am sure Swedish designers will be recruited first. There is a lot of paperwork involved in hiring a foriegner and unless you are bl**dy brilliant, you are going to be up against a lot of competition, some of it not even “design ability” related.

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:54 am Post subject:

I would say that it is almost impossible to acquire an ID position through arbetsformedlingen, simple because not many ID positions is filled through them.

\

Thanks for the info. Arbetsformedling told me it would be quite difficult as well. They told me once my diploma was certified with Hogskolaverket, They could refer me to a more specialized job agency. Hopefully that will help.

Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:50 am Post subject:

… I am sure Swedish designers will be recruited first. There is a lot of paperwork involved in hiring a foriegner and unless you are bl**dy brilliant…

\

I’ve been learning swedish now, and I must confess it is quite difficult. Luckily I am married to a Swede so paperwork isn’t a problem. Hopefully my prior experience will give me some leverage.

One more question: is the interviewing process quite similar as the States?

Thanks again…

forget arbetsförmedlingen. There are no studios hiring thru them. Check out SID. Swedish Industrial Designers organization. Or check the ERA2995 site for interesting projects…good luck