Final Project

Hi, I’m currently doing my final projects for my industrial design diploma.
I really need some guidance from experience people like you, i really appreciate it.

Now, i still in the process of thinking what to do.
How should i even start, the fact that i have to decide what to do for Finals.
Please guide me with some directions.

Thank you!
:confused:

gotta give us some more to work with here.

What is it you are interested in?
What is the strength of your school?
Are you even passionate about design?
Because I find it always strange when students are completely lost as soon as they have to make their own brief.
This is a creative profession.

Hi there,
actually i wanted to ask what should i focus on not asking what should i be designing.
I was advised to touch on what i can contribute to the society rather than just simply design anything as i like.
My college is just a small school, in my country industrial design is still new.
I am definitely passionate about Design, but too be honest, I’m not as equip as i should be.

I wanted to focus on agricultural product - future plantation system, but too bad that my lecturer responded with a " that’s too theory based "

So, i need some advice to see what the industry needs, what they are looking for. From past students experience POV etc.

Thanks for the feedback too, appreciate it.

:smiley:

oh I think agriculture is a great project.
Urban farming in going to be more and more important in the future.
I am going to a discussion about rooftop farming tomorrow night.

Where are you located?

Thanks.
I’m located in Malaysia.
I guess you’ve heard of it ?

I’m pretty certain most people know of Malaysia. For your project, you can do a lot with agriculture. If you want to go with that route, do a lot of research of what’s out there, new products/projects being developed for that, talk to farmers and see what they want/think/have complaints about/what’s missing/what can be improved/etc. I bet there will be dozens of possible projects that can develop, just do the research and something will pop up.

Vertical farming is becoming more and more the future; there’s tons of electronic-based products you can experiment with too. Remember the project doesn’t have to answer the entire agricultural problem, it may end up being a better wheelbarrow.

I agree with the above; urban farming is definitely intriguing. As this is a final project, you may have enough time to put into designing a whole system (i.e. from the architecture of the place, to tools/devices to plant, water, maintain, prevent crop damage, etc, to transportation of the goods from the farm (like a trolley, small car, etc) to sellers/markets. There’s a wide range of things you could do, and if all of the above components are styled similarly/work together coherently, I think it’d be an awesome project. I’d probably keep in mind that since it’s a final project, consider all the real-world scenarios (marketing/branding, manufacture, location of your farm, context of use). I think that’s what your lecturer meant. Keep it realistic, yet advanced (Advanced but acceptable). I.e. no hovering water cans, robot plowers, etc.

Hi guys!
Thanks for all the feedback & advices.
It’s wonderful hearing from you, now i felt more confident to proceed.
Yep, i will soon visit FAMA - known as Federal Agricultural Marketing Authority for more info.
Visiting farms is a great idea.
Okay, will look into marketing & manufacturing the product too.
It’s an eye opener for me that it can be that wide scope, even ranging from transporting goods to etc.

Once again, thank you! :smiley: