film scanner

Hi Folks

Plannin’ to buy a film scanner on the cheap ($100 to $200) - I want a good quality scanner to make some of my slides and fil digital - also have a coupla questions: what is a good resolution to look for while shopping for a scanner?? Can I scan a regular photo in a film scanner or is it purely a film scanner??

Arun

Some flatbed scanners can do film, negatives, transparencies and photos. There should be a back light feature to these scanners.

As far as resolution, the higher the better but you may not need that high. It depends on what your final dpi or ppi will be. Are you scanning to be printed out or just for digital display?

scanners have a tendency to scan very blue. Of course you can fix this but some are so bad it can be almost impossible (especially if you use Fuji film… it has a blue cast to it.) With your better scanners the problem isn’t as bad.

If you go shopping at a store, have them scan something for you. This should give you a good idea of the quality. Come with your own stuff to scan.

I don’t have a backlit scanner or a slide/film scanner. I have used several but don’t remember the brands… just remember the good, the bad and ugly experiences.

Hope that helps.

Attention to the hardware resolution of the scanners.
the software resolution is usually a trick! or lie!
for the film scanners the backlight quality is too important. check it.
i use a Acer Prisa to scan my document and pics. its very good and fast.
but it has no film scanning ability.
try the other models of this brand.

oh one time i try to scan a negative film by positioning a backlight on the film over the scanner i say before. the result was not bad. you can try it so!

bye!

Attention to the hardware resolution of the scanners.
the software resolution is usually a trick! or lie!
for the film scanners the backlight quality is too important. check it.
i use a Acer Prisa to scan my document and pics. its very good and fast.
but it has no film scanning ability.
try the other models of this brand.

oh one time i try to scan a negative film by positioning a backlight on the film over the scanner i say before. the result was not bad. you can try it so!

bye!