feb 1st deadline come and gone

for all of you that applied to american schools, the feb 1st deadline has come and gone. so now that your application and portfolio is officially floating out there, what are you doing with your spare time?

I have:

1 slept more
2 gone over my portfolio again, critiquing work constantly
3 started reading all my magazines that have been sitting in a pile by my couch for months
4 sketched some new ideas (tunnell vision is obviously lifting)
5 daydreamed

It appears they are not reading the posts here.

[quote=“<>”]for all of you that applied to american schools, the feb 1st deadline has come and gone. so now that your application and portfolio is officially floating out there, what are you doing with your spare time?

what’s feb 1st???
I thoutht dead lines are feb 15th. Isn’t it correct?
I’m going to apply until feb 15th…

i started knitting. (don’t laugh)

i have no idea what i’m going to make. it started out as a mitten… and now has morphed into some sort of sculptural object.

it’s relaxing, totally different, and a lesson in not knowing what the end product will be.

(oh yeah, my deadlines were feb 1st and 15th, but i didn’t wait to the last minute…)

Well… now I just sit around and try not to spend ANY money.

Also… I’ve taken up nightmares. Had a particularly fun one where I got called back to Pratt to meet the Dean of Admissions. She gave me this scary in-my-face interview and then pointed to a table covered with pieces of balsa wood and wire and commanded that I make something brilliant out of it while she watched and commented.

When I first graduated college, there was a few month lull in between graduation and finding my forst design job.

I moved back home (totally bumbed) and started biting my nails, waiting for phone calls, and emailing recruiters way to much. Finally I just decided “pretend” like I had a design job, and I assigned myself projects. I started sketch for a minimum of 8 hours a day. By the time I landed that job, I was ready to rock.

If you do the same, you’ll hit the ground running in school, and impress the crap out of your instuctors.

when you sketch like this do you sketch existing objects that are in front of you, or ideas/proposed objects? my drawing skills are ok, but then i look at actual project sketches on core’s website and realize that its a totally different beast.

what are your suggestions?

Really any sketching is going to help. I think the key is to find subbjects that you enjoy sketching on and branch out from there.

The way I set it up for myself was, I picked a product to sketch on, for instance a cellphone with an onstar like safety feature, or a new egonomic lounge chair, or a hydeogen fuel cell powered freight train. Then I sketched thumbnails for a few hours. Laid them all out on my folk’s old ping pong table and selected some favorites to develop further, did some more developed concept sketches for a couple more hours. Then I spent the rest of the afternoon overlaying the perspectives and trying to get one good rendering.

Sometimes I took a break for like a week and made a model of one of my favorites from cheap blue or pink insulation foam. Sealed it and painted it up.

There are a lot of books on amazon on ID that could fill time as well.

But really, I think the key is to keep working on your skills and to stay motivated. Resist the playstation.