Fashionable/socially acceptable masks?

I was working on something the other day and started to think about masks. Masks are weird. They either make you look like a suspicious serial killer or a dork.

I’ve identified a few key factors to face masks that won’t make you look weird:

1. Show as much face as possible, either through webbing or transparency
  2. Be as soft as you can. Hard, face-molded masks make you look like Jason.

I’m wondering if anyone knows about masks/face covers that are sort of socially acceptable to wear? I was looking to burkas and wedding veils for inspiration, but what else? What other forms exist for something that goes over your head/face? I just need some inspiration, so non-mass-produced things/high fashion is okay.

Thanks

(I’ve attached some images I’ve been looking at)

Fire fighter masks don’t seem too creepy. Most of the face covering is transparent. Although, then again, they look like gas masks, which might freak people out.

I think firefighter masks aren’t really what I’m looking for because they are really career/context specific. If you aren’t wearing the firefighter uniform and you’re wearing the helmet, you’ll look like a weirdo.

Northern winter - balaclava is socially acceptable

Keffiyeh are acceptable in a sand storm

I remember during the SARS scare there was a lot of talk on fashionable surgical mask.

Bikers are often seen wearing bandannas and other face coverings when riding in poor weather. Or things like this

The Puma Vexed and other similar hooded tops that cover the face perhaps?

Possibly the most socially accepted mask ? ( seemingly showing as much face as possible - although technically most of the face is actually covered with product! )
widely accepted mask.jpg
admittedly this is tangental but possibly relevant . . .and in line with your thought

And, following-up from make-up, would a mask that follows/conforms to your facial expressions be more acceptable or less so? Also, could sunglasses be considered a mask?

Masks of cartoon characters are also widespread and not considered scary.

I came across this picture while surfing:

It was designed by Lucy McRae who is well-known for her work in altering the human body.

There were quite a few pics of these in the news after the Royal Wedding…

A lot of people wear surgical masks over here when they are unwell - when a lot of people live close together, illness travels fast.

Little kids have interesting ones. They seem to be inspired by whatever current fashion they like at the time. Checks (think Vans slipon style), Butterflys and princess stuff, cartoon characters, whatever. They never have a lot of detail though, which I think is a good decision.

hi there
metal filigree masks are definitely the fashion accessory of this year . there are ideal and suitable due them not covering the whole face but leaving parts of it exposed , and they can still keep there feminine looks …can i add they also look great and different to most masks.
f_1290231.jpg

I was just speaking about this with a professor the other day, regarding sunglasses. He equated them to masks in the way that other people interact with you or others interact with people wearing them in certain situations. For example sometimes people may get upset/ nervous if you are wearing sunglasses inside or at night and also in the context of conversation with strangers. His point was it came down to respect and if you are not letting people see your eyes you are disconnecting/ hiding yourself from them. This is interesting to me now even more so after reading through this thread and thinking more about “socially acceptable” hmmm…

One of my favorite masks was that of King Baldwin in Kingdom of Heaven. Worn to cover a disfigured face it reminds us that masks are in some cases a prosthetic.

…can i add they also look great and different to most masks.

Interesting. But SPAM is SPAM and we would prefer that you don’t sell them here.

Deleted.

His point was it came down to respect and if you are not letting people see your eyes you are disconnecting/ hiding yourself from them. This is interesting to me now even more so after reading through this thread and thinking more about “socially acceptable” hmmm…

There is of course, another aspect of concealing one’s eyes… … .