Fabric and Fiber Hardening with resin

I know this a possible process, I have an idea for a product and saw several at ICFF this past year but I want to inject a resin or hardener into rope or another material with similar fiber structures and “mold” it .

Does anyone know of certain hardeners or a resin to get to test this out? or possibly the proper method going about doing this?

Any help would be great… just no “proprietary processes” answers please…

jk69185@gmail.com

Do a search for Epoxy or polyester resins. Those are pretty standard for fiberglass layup. you buy it in 2 parts, mix it, then saturate your fabric, or rope in your case, the let it kick.

Hey Kershaw,
years ago i did something similar, however what i did was soak calico fabric into fibreglass epoxy resin, then draped it over a chair. Once it set i pulled out the chair and the calico had taken the shape of the chair. The calico was also strong enough to sit on.
Im not sure how well it would work with rope. I just dont know how much it would resin the rope would absorb (depends on the rope). marcel wanders did something similar which i think he called knotted chair for cappellini (correct me if im wrong) look into it

Knotted chair by Marcel Wanders

Also onteresting
Random chair by BertJan Pot
Carbon fiber with epoxy resin.

B-art

compression molding. Look that up on wikipidia

Thanks everyone, I will look into it

I’ve tried to do this, and it is not nearly as easy as you might think.

What I learned from my experiments:

The epoxy needs to be thin to allow it to soak into the rope (some of the rotted wood repair products look good, some laminating epoxies might be thin enough as well). The epoxy I used wasn’t terribly thin, but I tried heating it to thin it which had marginal success (you’ll shorten the epoxy’s gel time considerably by heating it). The rope needs to be absorbent and loosely-woven enough to allow the epoxy to work its way into it. Synthetic fibers likely work best, but I don’t see why cotton or linen wouldn’t be usable. It is difficult to find rope that’s not tightly woven/twisted, after all loosely woven rope would be fairly weak on its own.

Using West Systems 105 Epoxy the following is available:

209 Extra Slow Hardener

209 Extra Slow Hardener is formulated for use with WEST SYSTEM Brand 105 Resin for general coating and bonding applications in extremely warm and/or humid conditions or when extended working time is desired at room temperature. Provides approximately twice the working time of 206 Slow Hardener. Forms a clear, amber-colored solid with good physical properties and moisture resistance for bonding and coating applications. Not intended for clear coating.

Mix Ratio (Resin:Hardener) >> 3:1 by volume (3.5:1 by weight)

Pot life at 72°F (22°C) >> 40 to 50 minutes

Pot life at 95°F (35°C) >> 15 to 20 minutes

Cure to a solid state at 72°F (22°C) >> 20 to 24 hours

Cure to a solid state at 95°F (35°C) >> 6 to 8 hours

Cure to maximum strength at 72°F >> 4 to 9 days

Minimum recommended temperature >> 70°F (21°C)

See:

Go to: Product Information Tab > then select Epoxy Resins

Read:
Thinning:

Low Temp. Use

System Three RotFix

http://www.systemthree.com/members/tds/Rot-Fix_TDS.pdf
Tech Questions: (253) 333-8118.

The rope needs to be absorbent and loosely-woven enough to allow the epoxy to work its way into it.

Depending upon the diameter, un-laying the rope (twisting it “backwards” against the way it is wound) as you saturate it might be a consideration. It certainly would be messy… .

Surfboard resin can be bought in larger quantities and is a more pure resin that hardens very clear and colorless… I used to try other resins for projects and they would harden into blues and ambers

It’s super important to mix the catalysts very thoroughly and with the right proportions too, otherwise it sometimes never hardens and stinks up your shop