Extruded Foam Rubber Part ...little' help please!

The application is for an in-store produce display so it must be water & mold resistant & soft, kind of like a Nerf Football.

Can anyone tell me about the feasability of extruding Foam rubber to this size?

Not only is the size a tough one but can it be accurately color matched to a Pantone color? Thanx!

I may be wrong, but doesn’t a closed cell foam need to shot into a closed mold in order to expand and harden into a shape? I can see you doing a larger mold and then die cutting 12" sections off of it. Low tooling costs but long cycle times. What if you extruded a thin walled shape of the same cross section (maybe out of polypro) with a honeycomb type structure in it to give support but with a little give? I like the idea.

What if you die cut that whole cross section out of 12" foam. Be a lot of scrap though…

You could also make this shape out of a block of foam using a CNC hot wire cutter. No tooling needed - just the profile.

if you’re not familiar with the process check out this link - has images of the machines and some samples.
http://www.foamwork.net/

Would cutting your blocks to size, & then CNC-ing them 2-up in a 69 configuration be feasable? It’ for a significant product launch but a pretty short preliminary initial run (as always). Reducing the tooling costs would be a great advantage and a good negotiating tool for the long-term tooling costs.

There is a “crosslink” EVA used for medical grade applications that is pretty close to that blue color.

If you are looking for a supplier/fabricator I’d talk to these guys:

www.amconvas.com

Their blue medical grade Crosslink stuff is called “XL BLUE 2000” it comes in a variety of densities. Looks and sounds like the stuff you are looking for. They’re in Mpls. check em out.

they have three axis band saws and a variety of other neat cutting tools that could probably get you the shape you need.

You guys are great! I’ve posted positive feedback for each of you on goodKarma.com
Thanx!

There is an 8’ hot wire cutter here in Vancouver so I would assume there is probably one near you also. -There will at least be a 6’ - Check movie prop builders they use these a lot.
At 8’ you could cut an 8’ long piece to your profile and then chop down to 8 12" sections later. If you are looking for low volume this will work as there is zero tooling cost and set-up is minimal.

Your only issue with this may be material. If you want that squishy nerf / open cell look you might have to talk with the supplier to see what that type of machine can do.