Exporting surfaces to 3D Studio Max

Hello, I am trying to export a bicycle saddle model from Wildfire 2.0 to 3D studio max 6. It appears in wildfire as an import fearture and has been created using surfaces and then thickened. When i try to save a copy to export i am not offered the option to save as an stl which has worked for my solid parts. I have tried to save as a wavefront obj file but i can’t save anything, Wildfire says

No uv-map defined; previous selections will be ignored.
No part selected.

even when i try and select the saddle. All of the igs files i have tried to save come into 3ds with surfaces all over the place and look a bit of a mess. I really need help! Thankyou very much for any help you can give

Jack

Hi,

If you cannot export an STL file then it must be a surface model, you mention the fact that it is an import have you tried using heal geometry to fix any gaps in the model. Sorry I cannot be of any further assitance but without seein the model that is all I can think off for now.

Good luck

Hi,

If you cannot export an STL file then it must be a surface model, you mention the fact that it is an import have you tried using heal geometry to fix any gaps in the model. Sorry I cannot be of any further assitance but without seein the model that is all I can think off for now.

Good luck

It doesn’t show up as a load of surfaces. You can download the model from http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/files/gallery.asp
(you need to be a member though but its free and easy to do) if you go to Files and type ‘saddle’ into the search bar. This might make it easier for you experienced guys rather than me explaining it. All i need to do is place some planes, add a couple of protrusions and export to 3ds max 6. I hope this is ok, thankyou for any help you can offer

Jack

It is not a solid model and has not been thickened, the surfaces are quite poor around the bottom area of the model where the outer surface wraps around and meets the internal surface. You can see this quite easily when you switch the model to wire frame. The bulk of the model is coloured deep purple and the area causing the problem is in pink which means the end of a surface and that the two halves have not been merged together.

Is that why it looks messy when exported as an iges? If i did one myself (better) would it export better?
Thanks for your help

is there a way to clean it up? I’m not yet good enough to make my own version but in 3ds it imports badly and with square patches over the holes for the saddle support bars.
Thanks
Jack

Depends on how good you are at Proe. If it was me I would cut the bottom part of the seat away and rebuild it

mmmm. i’m having issues with surfaces at the moment. I haven’t used them since 2001, wildfire seems to do them differently from how i remember. Do you know any good tutorials?
Thanks
Jack

Sorry to bother you again, how could i solidify the model? I just need to get it into 3ds looking realistic
Thanks so much
Jack

I have a lot of associates who work for PTC, so I picked up a fair bit of knowledge over the years. To convert in to a solid you will have to creata a surface copy of the import geom. Then layer of the import feature. After that cut away the bas geom and either put a sweep in or boundary surface.