Experienced industrial designers, we need your stories!

Hi all, we’ve launched a new section on the blog called “True I.D. Stories.” This is where ID vets (anonymously) share a story about the behind-the-scenes crap we have to put up with as designers, some of it hilarious, other times frustrating. What all the stories have in common are–they didn’t prepare you for this in design school!

Do you have a story you’re willing to tell? We’ll anonymize all involved parties and swap details so there’s no way it can be traced back to you, and you’ll win a $25 gift certificate to Hand-Eye Supply if your story is selected.

Best of all, you don’t even have to write the story up (unless you want to). Just e-mail a brief description to core77editors@gmail.com, leave us a contact number, and one of our editors will get the story from you over the phone.

Sound good? Drop us a line! Core77editors@gmail.com

thanks all,

• Rain

This sounds like the New Yorker’s “drop box” concept. Open source whistle blowing is all the rage now…no?

In case any one had any question, this is legit. That is Hipstomp from the front page…

Anyone who wants to share stories from the trenches should certainly contact the address above.

I can only think of that time that I was cutting thin stainless steel with a hand shear and it sprung and sliced a small chunk of my finger off. It started to squirt like the Black Knight in Monty Python.

Ahh, memories… At my first internship (during my junior year @ CCS) I took about a quarter of my right thumb pad off on a table saw (nail, flesh and all). Nineteen years later it is almost as long as my left thumb again - I’m like a slow healing salamander!!

Wood shop horror stories are the best. Like all extreme sports, one needs a healthy amount fear to stay safe.

Design by Committee…I have hundreds of 'em. Most end in finger pointing at the design department when they fail.

My favorite brief anecdote involves a teleconference involving a critique of a museum display and the height of an information board containing historical text.

Me: So, the height of these boards is placed at ADA requirements…

Customer: Can they be lower? I want children under 5 years old to read them.

Me: Sure, though how many children under 5 do you suppose will be able to read them anyway?

<Customer’s coworkers heard stifling giggles in the background>

Customer: Errr, ahhh, hmmmmm…OK, I think this is a perfect height, lower it a quarter of an inch.