Expensive Product ≠ Good Design

Personally, I’d much rather design a product where’s it’s a challenge to hit a low price point than something with an unlimited budget/BOM. What’s the fun in design if there’s no challenge or constraints?

Just because a product is expensive, doesn’t mean it’s well designed.

And just because a product is cheap or inexpensive doesn’t mean it isn’t good design.

Richard, this is a nonsensical statement. Design doesn’t exist without constraints, unlimited or limited budget/BOM is never the only constraint. Without constraint design is art. You tend to view industrial design through the lens of your own specialization.

1 Like

Did you read the article @Dan_Lewis ?

I didn’t say that budget/BOM was the only constraint and certainly don’t think I ever suggested no budget was better.

My point was that budget/BOM has nothing to do with the quality of the design.

While I do often speak from the perspective or POV of my industry (footwear) this applies equally across design.

How many times do we some high end XXX (stereo equipment, car, furniture, etc.) that is very expensive but terrible design?

My conclusion I thought was pretty clear:

Utimately product cost (and price) is not reflective of design quality or design challenge. Personally, I find lower cost products of provide more creative opportunities for smart design and innovative solutions.

The $0.5 paperclip is great design. Cost is not an indication of worth.

What about the…
Just because a product is expensive, doesn’t mean it’s poorly designed category?

You can cover a turd in gold…

Another good example (of expensive not necessarily being good design)

Why does this exist?

Are we running out of air to put in basketballs?

Performance is below standard.

Exorbitantly expensive price availability makes it inaccessible.

If it’s innovation for exploration and experimentation that’s cool but why is this a “retail” product? What makes this successful?

https://www.wilson.com/en-us/explore/basketball/airless-prototype

1 Like