european schools (the best and worst ones)

so i did a little search and couldn’t find a specific thread on just european schools so i figured i’d start one. i’m almost 100% sure i’m going back to school for ID and have also decided that it will be in europe (i’ve been saving my ass off for the last 10 years and never did study abroad so may as well do it now at 29!)

anyway i’ve heard good things about :

Design Academy Eindhoven
Domus
Umea

if anyone has had any experience with any of these schools or are students at any of these schools i would love to hear your opinions.

-also feel free to mention other good schools and schools to stay away from.

thanks!

I think that’s a good idea, I went abroad for study and I can’t imagine having not done that. It’ll further your feeling of independence and rite of passage etc.

Eindhoven is another one of those colleges who have really famous tutors, same as RCA in London (which is ONLY postgrad by the way). No doubt it’s good but I wouldn’t be comfortable that the college is famous for who their tutors are rather than students work. Better to get someone who’s been there really. Also, try and find past students work online maybe (search Coroflot?)

UMEA is supposed to be good but I’ve heard slightly ‘engineery’ product design. Again, have a look at their website and past students work and see if it fits in with your ideal of good design.

Delft is apparently a good school. If you go to productdesignforums.com, the moderator there (Waikit) is a Delft alumni, you could ask him for a quick opinion - send him a PM.

Don’t know much about Domus, but it’s only postgrad as far as I know. Also, as it’s Italian I’d imagine there would be a certain emphasis on styling over problem solving and the importance of ethnographic research. Depends what you want from it I suppose.

DAE tutors are all parttime teachers. the only full staffs are administration. that is good because you get teachers that has a leg in industry. like all schools, some teachers you can learn a lot with and some suck. the study structure is a little different too. you basically dip your hands in different topics at one time. more info you can get on the school’s site. Computer skills are thought at a very basic level. Its a lot of hands work here. I applied to this school just for that purpose. to work with hands (i have an ID diploma before this). if u can be sensitive with your hands, you can be sensitive on a computer.

the dutch has a culture of straight-talking - sometimes a little too harsh. you may appreciate it or you may not. i got a little of a shock at first, but in a school context, it is good. you know you are getting sincere feedback and you can agree or disagree with the teachers. great (but sometimes frustrating) dialogue.

the only drawback i see is the government is not subsidysing tuition fees of non-EUs anymore. new students has to pay a little bit more now. There is also a change of chairwoman currently. it may change the school’s directions.

hope that helps a little.

Previous posters have touched on this already, the schools you mention are very different in their approach, process and end goal when it comes to design.

So it’s not so important if the school is famous but rather if they teach the way you want.
Good thing, that you are 29. You probably have figured out already what kind of design you wanna do.
To shoehorn your own philosophy into the wrong program is the worst. Believe me, I know.

So what are you looking for? Conceptual Furniture a la Eindhoven? Snowboard boots a la Umea?

.b