Ethics question?

I have seen many discussions on here regarding non-compeat agreements. I find myself in a situation I am unsure about, and am looking for input and thoughts. I have been offered a full time possition as a Mid-Level (having a team of 2 other designers under me) Industrial Designer with a consulting firm that has a very specific client base. The problem is I an currently a junior designer (overseeing no one, and having one designer over me), with a generalized take anything thrown at them consultancy. This would no be an issue, however the offices are only 5 blocks apart. However this firm has not had an industrial design project since last feb, has never done work in the others specialty, and has been focused on project managmet of off shore manufacturing since May.

I know that I am not going to pass up the possition with the new firm. How should I handle the resignation from my current employer? I have never quit a job before in my life, and I am quite worried about possible reprocussions…

Sounds like you’re a slave. I don’t see how your company could in anyway prosecute you from what you have described. A no compete clause is ussually specific to intellectual property. If you were to leave a design firm for another, I don’t think it would apply, unless of course you are taking on an active project that competes with a product that you previously worked on and had signed a no compete or nda agreement with the client. If this is not the case, I doubt they would even attempt it as it would be a tremendouse waste of money and effort for your current firm. Now if this the case, you would make this known to your new employer, and I’m sure that they would be able to make the proper descision depending on the actual specifics of the circumstances. As for quitting, write a resignation letter, that states that you have enjoyed your time there and you have learned alot, and blah blah blah… It’s okay to kiss that ass one last time before leaving. As for reasons for leaving, state that you feel that you have reached a point where you are ready to advance in your career, and explore new opportunities. blah blah blah. Make sure it’s short and vague, with a little ass kiss in the PS. You don’t want to burn those bridges in case you may need to take that slave job again in the future. Also it looks better if your new employer thinks you left on good terms. Good luck…

THANK YOU!!!