Escaping the 'Rat Race'

‘Promoting Independence through Travel’

As modern life becomes faster paced and more stressful, people often dream of a simple escape. Given the stresses of modern life, more and more people dream of an, ‘escape to the country’, as a means of leaving the ‘rat race’ behind.
A feeling of being a cog in a monotonous machine of life may be felt.
Could short distance travel offer a solution?

Opinions, thoughts and Questions welcome

Didn’t want to suggest anymore than what was already down, but perhaps i’ll have to.

The project title is ‘Freedom to Travel’, and i am looking at the weekend escape.

Technology ties us to modern life and a weekend spent at home is very common, but should we be trying to get away from it all more often, experience nature.

Using a get up and go approach, could a mode of transport provide the perfect escape. Other than just throwing a tent into your everyday car and going. Who wants the stress of packing it anyway? Lol

Didn’t want to suggest anymore than what was already down, but perhaps i’ll have to.

The project title is ‘Freedom to Travel’, and i am looking at the weekend escape.

Technology ties us to modern life and a weekend spent at home is very common, but should we be trying to get away from it all more often, experience nature.

Using a get up and go approach, could a mode of transport provide the perfect escape. Other than just throwing a tent into your everyday car and going. Who wants the stress of packing it anyway? Lol

try looking into airplanes, they can take you many places. if that fails, try busses or trains.

then, there are motels and hotels just about anywhere you want to go or stay.

there are even places that you can buy food, most of them are equipped with tables and chairs to sit down.

darn it, designing an escape to the rat race feels like a rat race.

you live in a dense city right?

go see a movie.

Surfing is the perfect “Rat race” deterent. I go 3 times before work and it’s the perfect way to get the creative juices flowin. Just have to remember to keep the surf greed down. :smiling_imp:

Thanks for the surfing advice thats the kinda reply i require. Though this is a project i have set for my final year of university, so the sarcastic advice of trains, buses and movies really is no use. But thanks to the idiot for his time anyway.

Obviously i’ll be looking into the social and personal aspects of travelling and also activities undertaken while away, so the surfing is helpful.

Any other personal ways of escaping modern life, note it down here, all is useful, so long as it’s constructive. Thank You

I grew up being an obsessive surfer… Traveling is really huge with that crowd.

On the E Coast (myself from the outer banks, NC) the waves are never as good as the magazines so everybody saved up all their money to travel somewhere to surf. We’d always go somewhere A) where the surf was consistently good and B) where it was cheap… Central America and the Caribbean were the hot spots. The crazy thing about thoose trips when I look back are that we never did anything but surf all day every day… hardly ever sighseeing if at all - only if the waves were bad.

I always thought it was such an obsessive sport because it was soo dependent on unpredictable weather, days of perfect surf are often far between. I think other sports that rely on tempermental weather have the same mentality - like snow and sail sports. When the surf is great it is almost impossible to work a full day… getting out on days like that was better than most normal trips i’ve been on. Maybe that helps you?

The question posed again, so as not to have a surfing discussion.

http://www.erowid.org/

sorry, couldn’t help myself… but your question is vauge. do you want to know about vehicles, specific escapes, or what?

Here’s my take: I think taking a 4 day weekend is a must to really do a proper escape. a day of travel each way, then two days to enjoy the place.

an afternoon or early evening of something interesting or exciting that takes your mind off the daily routine is escape too. Movies included.

as far as how to do it… I met some american guys traveling in africa once that only had one light backpack and a change of clothes. seeed like very comfy way to do it if your using public transport.

Good luck on the project

I agree the question was certainly vague, and the follow up to the rest of your post was excellent. I didn’t want to focus down to much and say what the final outcome may or may not be.

But in answer to your question and for other peoples reference, the project will be focussed around some form of personal transport. i realise lots of people will just say, use a van or use a car etc, but i’m trying to look at the possibilities. Remember, the drive it’s self plays a big part in the journey, so comfort facts will come into it.

But anyway, the rest of your post as i say was exactly the kid of information i need, i.e. how long a break 2 people need 2 feel they have enjoyed it.

Also looking at escaping modern life, so although a movie is a form of escape, i’m looking at getting up, active and away from it all.

Thanks

To focus on the outcome (!)

Do you remember when you were young, going to visit stupid stuff with your school was an enjoyable bus ride.
Imagine the “cool bus” going around the city. Just take the ride as the bus come toward. That’s where the adventure starts.
Inside: no rule, just have fun. And the bus drop you at different cool location of the city. Let’s continue the ride to the airport if necessary with a lastminute offer to Goa.
In england we have a serie called Spoon, the guy goes to a place to store your luggage, he uses that space as an escape ( from his wife)

Hi Paul,

Just a small thought: wanted to say that whenever I drive anywhere, I look forward to listening to music a lot, and really like to take new stuff to listen to. Who else cares how loud it is on a motorway? You’re in a little bubble, just you, the music and the roads.

Good luck

Hi Paul,

First thing that came to mind for me was thinking about road trips - the idea of just getting in a car with a few mates and going wherever the road takes you. No planning, not deciding where your going before hand. This means your guarenteed to find new things and new experiences and can often lead to you finding new places for example that you never knew were there. The ultimate escape from the usual day to day life maybe?

Seem to remember a film called ‘road trip’ as well but never seen it so could be total un-relevant!

Hope ive been of help…

What about a van?
space for sleeping and space for your staff (surfing, climbing or camping)…

When I travel is to spend time in the place I want to go, not in the way…

my reply was such to illustrate that you can’t ‘can’ an experience. the idea of getting back to nature is beautiful, but it’s usually circling around personal freedom which is a car. cars are already pretty well equipped to papmer the driver and passenger to hell while they are escaping.

if this is a transpo project, the volkswagen vanagon idea is pretty tired.

how about this, maybe it’s not the exact utility with which the person may escape but feeling empowered to do so in the first place. personal commitment makes it very tought to even consider escaping…

or…

what if you had a stress debit card, that helped you organize baby sitters, time off, places to go, it could be plugged into a kiosk that helped you arrange travel on on one mega one stop shop super web site dedicated to travel and escaping your life…maybe something like google, but with the word escape in front of it…

or a really beautiffuly crafted and attractive walking stick with a gps unit it to sybolize escaping from your own personal prison, like a leatherman with a retracting walking stick…

you saw it all here folks…
i claim rights to all those brilliant ideas…har har

you could hop a train to a new town - like in a box car - and get stabbed by hobos

I hope to visit new cities while my friends where @ uni but unfortunately due 2 cash flow probs & coursewrk etc i didn’t get 2 visit as many as i would’ve liked. When goin somewhere not only do u have da travel cost, accomadation bill but spending £ to sort out so a vehicle or mode of transport that could be used otha den a caravan or camper van dat all ready exists would be good. Maybe something dat u could just hire 4 da wkend! Hope dis helps if not soz Paul!

yeah but as i fell dying from the train, i would take a couple of those fuckin hobos with me

If anyone is interested theres a few minute questionnaire at the link below which would really help my research. By all means fill it out.

Thanks, Paul

http://www.my3q.com/home2/79/magpie83/31947.phtml