Eastern Canada, billable hourly rate. What is the average?

Hi. Does anyone know the typical hourly rate ID firms charge in Toronto or Montreal.

Thanks in advance

Mike.

Full-service consulting firms, depending on no. of employees, exact services offered (engineering, prototyping…), how long in business, previous work, contacts, reputation, etc…

… figure between $150 - $300/hr in Montreal, Toronto marginally higher, far less if you’re a one-man (woman) show.

Why can freelancers in Montreal only get $20-25 an hour if firms can bill this high?

150$-300$/hr.

What about if there is 40hours of 3D modeling that makes a big bill pretty fast. 6000$ It seems a lot. Could it be why ID is not always seen as neccessary for small manufacturing companies.

How much would freelancers charge in the same area?

Thanks

Mike

check older threads. big discussion awhile ago. but for CAD doubt $150-200 is charged too often now. CAD has dropped. money is in the idea, not the grunt work. from my experience CAD ranges from $35 to $70/hr. ideas still run $150/hr and up.

I’m freelancing. If “ideas” are worth so much, why is everyone telling me to know CAD and my most recent client complain about my offer of mid $20 an hour?

Then again…maybe firms here do charge top dollar for CAD drawings and that’s why a small manufacturer hired me to do ideation and kept their CAD work internal. Food for thought.

I’m freelancing. If “ideas” are worth so much, why is everyone telling me to know CAD and my most recent client complain about my offer of mid $20 an hour?

Then again…maybe firms here do charge top dollar for CAD drawings and that’s why a small manufacturer hired me to do ideation and kept their CAD work internal. Food for thought.

No offence meant, but this reflects on the quality of client, or your ability to show them the value that you provide. $20 and hour…you might as well give them the idea for free. By charging the lowest dollar, you will never earn the respect of the client. You will never be seen as a true development partner, or have your recommendations for anything other than styling taken seriously. That low of a design fee, only hurts the industry and the designer, by lowering the value of design to a disposable commodity like colored Xerox paper.

I make $22.45 an hour working for a firm that bills me out at a $125-$150, and I charge $75-$100 when I work freelance depending on what I feel or the client says the project is worth to them. Ask if they have a budget, and explain that design is a process, the phases and the depth of the phases are a factor of the budgetary restrictions. It works more often than not if you ask it in a nurturing non-intrusive way.