Dyson on front page again?

I know this thread has been around before, but as Dyson’s “new invention” is featured on BusinessWeek, and so it makes me cringe again.

This product typology, and even the same form factor has been around for years in asia, where is the big innovation? am I missing something or is he cashing on an imported idea?

Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly respect the guy, with the moving story of the bagless vacuum cleaner and all, but this does make me cringe.

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/science_technology/hand%20dryer%20dispute/170040

Perhaps just like the vacuum cleaner it’s a case of doing it better than it’s been done before.

Fair enough then, please enlighten me.
Again, where is the big innovation? (in the vacuum cleaner it was clear, doesn’t loose suction).

I’m no expert on this product but I would guess the fact it doesn’t use heated air makes it much more ‘green’ than the dryers in Asia, very important in this day and age.

Perhaps it’s not about massive innovation steps, just small incremental steps, like I said doing something better than it’s been done before.

Totally agree, but check this out:

Businessweek:
" This test of James Dyson’s latest invention is anything but scientific, but it’s pretty convincing. You immerse your hands in water, shake them, and then dip them into the curvaceous opening at the top of a sleek, gray hand dryer mounted on the wall that looks like some sort of high-tech fingerprint reader. Infrared sensors trip the “on” switch, and intense jets of air squeegee the moisture off your hands as you slowly draw them out. Elapsed time: 12 seconds, less than half the time taken by conventional machines. And your mitts are dry. No need for the traditional wipe-on-pants move."

Not being touted as a small incremental step, but a novel invention.

be clear on what he has accomplished.

His Marketing genius created a billion dollar business, by selling a $500 vacuum with inferior cleaning performance. (see consumer reports)

He is selling ostentation.

Next he will say he wants to change the world, with a bagless vacuum cleaner (I like the bag, less mess kid) and a hand dryer (I like paper towels and a recycle bin myself)

Aw! no more "i want to change the world"s please… Well as long as he doesn’t publish a book on that…

From a manufacturing point of view, the product is terrible. Looks great but really functionally stinks.

the dyson air blade makes use of all the invested knowledge and technology they already have in the company. So its a good business choice. They developed there own vacuum motor, which mustn’t have been cheap, so why not expand upon other uses for the motor, while integrating everything else they know about air flow and dirt.

The air blade no only looks at solving the primary issue of drying your hands but take account of the complete cycle of product use. i.e, filter the air coming in, so its clean, but using some of there own filters. Blast your hand clean. Then filter the moisture which leaves your hands so clean air is put back out. I imagine its also much simpler build than a vacuum cleaner or a washing machine so a lower investment cost…at all just makes sense.

in the end I don’t think he is ‘cashing in’ but just improving the system in dysons unique way…and all the best to him, we need more dyson’s about to help raise the profile British design.

more info over here: http://www.dysonairblade.co.uk/why/

The guy had a trust fund that paid his team of engineers for 15 years before he had something to sell…how is that anything but completely unique?

and then a washer that literally shreds fabric, and now, a $4K hand dryer?

I am jealous of his sucess and I admire his business savy, but I don’t have to respect is work.

I respect his work alot. Sure, his products aren’t revolutions, but he has found niche areas to build a business around. His vacuum may not be #1 to CR, but buyers have found that the Dyson features are worth the extra money. After all, they do have a 50% European market share. That can’t be all a scam.

As for the hand dryer, my current employer distributes the Xlerator in Canada. It blows hands dry in 10 seconds too, although with some heat. I’ve looked at the consumption figures, supposedly a Dyson uses about 60% of the electricity as an Xlerator. Again, not a revolution, but a potentially lucarative niche market. Smart!

As for a comparison, Dyson is way up there in my opinion. Rashid or Stark haven’t innovated as much as he has. Jonathon Ive has been milking a single cow for a few years now. Dyson is still trying to blaze a new trail. I don’t know any other designer that has built up such a big company from almost nothing.

Maybe “cashing in” is not the best expression, but what i mean is, he’s got the “fame” of innovator, and now he does these modifications on an existing invention, and the papers hail him as the inventor, I’m afraid I find that quite unfair.
Again I do respect him, it is difficult not to, but I stay critical of this point, albeit maybe a media communication point.

When I saw this product on core77 a while ago I thought big deal. But last week I had a chance to use one and it was very impressive. I couldn’t belive how quick it was, just a few seconds and my hands were dry.

I don’t care much about who came up with this particular idea because it is probably the best solution to the problem and i think many designers would come up with a similar device.

Props to Dyson and his marketing machine for getting it out there.

Personally, I’ve always been more impressed with this dryer…

Its loud as hell, but at least you don’t have to look at it for a few seconds to figure out that its a dryer if you’ve never seen it. Plus it ripples your skin like crazy!

I predict Dyson will claim that his Bagless vacuum cleaners are actually alien souls dropped off on the planet by an evil warlord. Oh, wait… that would have been this guy…

LOL

Dyson builds, tests, refines and really don’t care about its looks untill the mother WORKS. Dyson made the jump from “designer” to “product design engineer” aka, make prouducts from the ground up that fill a real need, work well and are profitable.

zippy 30 years in harness

Do those products really fit a need? Dude acts like he is starting a revolution with something people use once a week… now if he could design a carpet that turned dust and dog hair into electricity or something, sure, put him on the front page all day long…

Dude, things that MANY people use once a week are the things that should be improved. I think your right though for if he could invent a carpet that did that he should get the nobel prize in physics for that is what that little solution would take.