Dutch Schools for ID

So I’m in an ongoing process of trying to gather info about a college where I would like to study ID. I am weighing up Tu Delft, Tu Eindhoven, Ipo Den Haag, Design Academy Eindhoven and NCAD in DUblin.

I believe TU Delft is quite technical and difficult and it doesn’t allow you a chance to start your own projects in the bachelor. My understanding is that in most colles you can work after your bachelors whereas in Tu Delft really you have to go on and do your masters. The plus is that it’s a very good college, good eduation and allows you to learn a variety of things such as psychology, business and really understand the workings of a project.

My understanding is that Eindhoven is more design based. That they come out with less of an understand for the workings of a product thanTu Delft but more appreciation for design and how it works for the consumer. My understanding is that DAE allows you to study to quite a technical depth if you wish. My understanding of DAE is that it also allows you to start on your own projects sooner and provides an opportunity for a wider scope of products. And the teachers are aproachable.

Ipo Den Haag takes 4 years to get a bachelor. I believe it is more hands on and practical but doessn’t really have the name as much.

Tu Eindhoven, well I don’t know much about this but apparently they only started up their ID course recently so it’s a bit chaotic.

NCAD is a very good art college but not exactly known in other countries. They have a broad scope of courses you can study and have good facilities. The ID course seems to be well rounded providing a chance to learn how to make things, appreciate products on a design level but also on a technical level.

I am quite artistic and I want to be a designer but I also want to learn a broad scope of things. I want a college that allows me to go into the computer programmes in depth as well as a college that allows me to focus on things like woodworking and metal work. I want someting that provides me with a borad range of skills and knowledge and provides me with practical knowledge for the working world such as business and the psychology behind design. Due to my hearing loss I need a school where I can approach the teachers quite easily.

What cha think?

aplly to all of them and then see which will accept you and then you can go from there. it is useless just contemplating it over and over. what if you don’t get in Eindhoven or Delft? you better apply to many schools that you think you get into or else you are just wasting your time.

Good point. I was certainly planning to apply to more. :slight_smile: Good point though.

how old r u? I’ve been and applied to the Design Academy in Eindhoven and i didn’t like it, not that the program was bad but the teachers where.

i suggest to look also into the the ST Joost Academy in Den Bosch (http://www.stjoost.nl/) and the Rietveld Academy in Amsterdam.
(http://www.gerritrietveldacademie.nl/). All in Dutch though…

hi, out of all the schools you’re looking at, are there any taught in English?
I was looking at Umea but just found out the BA is not taught in English ahh
are there any undergratuate courses outside the UK taught in English?

cheers,
:laughing:
dt.

how’s it going with you, have you started apllying ect?

“how old r u?”

“I’ve been and applied to the Design Academy in Eindhoven and i didn’t like it, not that the program was bad but the teachers where.”
The teachers were bad you felt? I went to visit Tu Delft, Tu Eindhoven, Design Academy Delft and Ipo Den Haag last friday. Apparently DAE has 4 teachers from TU Delft. Apparently it got a lot of recognition from the New York times and is supposed to be one of the best design colleges in the world?

i suggest to look also into the the ST Joost Academy in Den Bosch (http://www.stjoost.nl/) and the Rietveld Academy in Amsterdam.
(http://www.gerritrietveldacademie.nl/). All in Dutch though…

Thanks for the tip. I did have a quick look at Rietveld. Need to take a better look. No prob that they’re in dutch coz I speak both languages.

What do you think of Tu Eindhoven or Tu Delft?

I always forget to add in my name!!

Btw for guest asking about programmes in English. My understanding was that Umea can work with students who speak English. The dutch are usually good like that too however I’m afraid I’m not aware of which if any of the colleges are taught in English since I can study in either language and hence didn’t pay much attention to that aspect!