Dubai is INSANE!!!!!

The construction going on in Dubai is insane. Simply insane.

Intesting… A great view of… Sand, oh and more sand! I wonder if you need oxygen tanks to assist your lungs being up so high.

What I can’t help but wonder is what happens when the oil runs out? Countries that heavily depend on one resource don’t have a happy history when it runs out.

What I can’t help but wonder is what happens when the oil runs out? Countries that heavily depend on one resource don’t have a happy history when it runs out.

Dubai, the main zone within the UAE does not have much oil to begin with. In fact, it is for that reason alone that the leaders have pushed Dubai to grow as a financial, technology and tourism center. They appear to be on a much different course than the typical middle eastern nation, by maintaining a fairly open and liberal society, a free market and a strong push to promote themselves to the world. Hopefully other countries out there will follow suit… too much craziness over there right now… i wouldn’t wanna move there.

But then where do you think most of these fortunes came from, oil?

I have friends who travel over there on occasion. It’s to bad that women are still oppressed in Dubai.

I have friends who travel over there on occasion. It’s to bad that women are still oppressed in Dubai.

Yeah that’s what happens when you live in a misogynistic culture where the male ego overtakes reason and rationale. Plus have your heard about how those construction companies treat their workers who hail from places like pakistan india and bangladesh?

Dubai is just a hedonistic paradise. It’s not a place that seems to care much for sustainability or the environment. The whole “island” thing they have built has taken so much out of the sea bed. I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole thing sank one day.

The whole reason they build things like this in Dubai is for when the oil does run out. At least then they have some kind of Tourism revenue to support there country. Its like a bigger more ridiculous Dollywood.

I saw that DSC episode on the palm tree island they built. It actual created and increased habitats for the aquatic marine life. Who knows what will happen if a tidal wave or shift in the tectonic plates occurred? Nature always wins.

Coledf, I agree with you. They will need something once all the oil is gone. The country will dry up like an old mining town with empty rocking chairs and tumble weeds without this tourist trap they are building.

If you build it, they will come…

I suggest you watch Syriana. Definately puts the extreme development of Dubai into perspective.

I think Matt Damon said “100 years ago you were all living in tents in the middle of the desert. And in another 100 years, you’ll be there again.”

How true. No sustainability. It’s like watching Detriot flourish in the 50’s only to see it become the crime capital of the country 50 years later.

Dubai is my idea of hell.

How will the tourists get to Dubai when oil is scarce? Sail boat?

Could this be a Metropolis-like secret factory that employs imprisoned tourists to pump up oil all day long for 2 cents an hour?

More pictures and progress indicator at http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/

Saw it, excellent flick!

I believe solar energy will play a major role in our planet’s future. That is if our government would stop hunting for oil and start investing funds, time, and research into this almost endless resource. Endless until the Sun burns up…

EcoID: I was trying to be funny. I’ve failed again!

I did see an interesting article tying oil and solar together this weekend. Shell and BP are in the process of selling off their solar energy subsidiaries. I don’t know if the American companies will follow, but it’s an interesting trend. Not sure yet if it is good or bad though.

from that article…

“It was not bringing in any profit for us there so we transferred it to another operator. The buyer will be able to take it to the next level,” said a spokeswoman at Shell headquarters in London.

lol. how forward thinking is that…like they can’t afford a little low/no ROI R&D.